• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is a good Power Auger?

I'm looking at buying a Power Auger> I've always used hand Augers and I'm getting sick of it even though this year hasen't been bad. I'm Looking at The Jiffy Or Strike Master. Any comments on Good or Bad experiences and prefrences. Thanks Art

Buy strikemaster. No question about it. I bought a used lazer mag strikemaster that is a few yrs old for $213 on hsolist. It cuts like a dream. It has the 2 lazer blades on it. Most people who try the lazer blades will not go back to the chipper blade because of it being so much faster and smoother. One thing that strikemaster should improve on is the gas cap. It is easy to forget to close the vent and then gas leaks out of it.

I have an Eskimo auger that is about 8 to 10 years old and it cuts better now than it did when it was new. I have never had to even sharpen the blades. It has 2 chipper style blades that really tear through the ice. A friend of mine was giving me grief about owning the Eskimo. He has a Jiffy. I got the last laugh when he couldn't get his to stay running long enough to even cut one hole. I would never buy a jiffy. A lot of the people I talk to say that they are really cold blooded. Go with the strikemaster. They are lighter, which makes a lot of difference when you have to cut a lot of holes.

I have a Jiffy, 3hp and I just sold it and am switching to a lazer mag. My jiffy is only 2.5 years old. I was just very impressed with how the Lazer cuts and runs.ScottS

My neighbor is in the fix it business. He says he gets 4 lazer's in for every 1 Jiffy. He is a authorized Jiffy service center and swears by them.

I have a new Lazer Mag. The redesigned handle makes laying it down much better.I can't believe how fast it turns thru the ice. My only complaint is the vent in the cap, it likes to leak.

I purchased a new Eskimo Shark 10" auger this winter and am very impressed with it.
It starts with the first pull after pushing the primer bulb several times and choking it.
Cuts ice with ease,has a self ventilating gas cap that never leaks.So far I can't think of anything I don't like about it.

------------------

My only experience is w/ a strikemaster, and have never had any real troubles w/ it. Still cuts. Even went and bought a similar one on an auction for $15.

So I would have to say go w/ a Strikemaster.

It's all w/ your preference. I would suggest you try out the different types. Find people using them on the ice and see if you can try them.

Both Jiffy and Strikemaster use the same Tecumseh engines. So you are comparing apples to apples when it comes to the engine. Major differences between the 2 manufacurers in both the 2 and 3hp models would be the handles, throttle setup, gears and auger blade. Look at these things and don't listen to what people say about the engines because they are the same. I believe Eskimo's have a different engine.

Thanks so much for all the info, as far as size of the Auger some friends said to go 10" but I've never needed a hole that big. and how about horsepower, can you notice a big difference between 2 and 3 HP. Thanks again

ditto on the Strikemaster. My wife bought me the 3hp Lazer mag for Xmas last year. It cuts great. I have the 8" cut. I agree with the post on the gas cap. Not only is it a pain if you forget to close the vent, I have gone through 3 O rings, and if with it closed my vehicle smells like a service station. I've called them twice and they say they are working on it. A snap off vent such as those on a gas can should work fine if I remember to close it.

ranger,
i'd get an 8 in. too if i were you. i have an older jiffy that has an 8 inch blade and my friend has a 2 year old jiffy with a 10 inch blade. we both have the blades sharpened, and i can always cut many more holes than him in a certain amount of time. i think an 8 inch hole is plenty big for any fish, and i would be scared of dropping my vex down a 10 inch hole! grin.gif
anyone ever tried to measure or see if a vex would fit down a 10 inch hole?

[This message has been edited by rap (edited 01-14-2002).]

My vote is for a Jiffy Model 30 3 HP.
If you want a auger to last year after year after taking lots of abuse, buy a Jiffy.
If you want to sell and "upgrade" every other year, buy a strikemaster.
I have had my Jiffy long before strikemaster even thought up of the name "Lazer".

As for the weight, I would much rather have a few extra pounds than a gutless 2 HP model.

Skeets

My vote is for the Jiffy. I agree it takes a minute or two for it to warm up, and it should be given that time since it is a 2-stoke engine. After the warm-up though, it will cut with ease, hole after hole.

When I was looking at buying an auger a while back, I wanted durability and longevity. All I had to do is look around at the local lakes and see how many Jiffys there were, and old ones too. I know of many Jiffys that are still running great after more than a decade of good use.