• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer License for Drop down fish house/camper?

dlskills

Question

I was wondering what most guys get for a license on there shacks with wheels, bunks, windows, and cook stoves in them? My shack that I just built is 6'6" x 12'. It is like 101.5" wide total and less than 17' long. Weight is under 1500 lbs. When I went in to license it I came out with the plate type that I will have to get tabs for every year is this right? If not what can I do to fix it? I want it to be leagal becasue I will be using it for bowhunting on state land during the fall. Please help.

10 answers to this question

Have "never" had to license a fish house on wheels other than shelter type.
If its manufactured as a "fish house" it does not fall into the camper trailer category... I've never seen one licensed or plated ...They are not state registered for title, other than a Insurance company wanting some form of generic title !!

I went through this last year when I purchased my wheel house. If you are going to use it for hunting or camping you will need plates to be legal.

If you are only going to use it for ice fishing, you only need a portable tag attached to it with identification on the house.

Ron

I was wondering what most guys get for a license on there shacks with wheels, bunks, windows, and cook stoves in them? My shack that I just built is 6'6" x 12'. It is like 101.5" wide total and less than 17' long. Weight is under 1500 lbs. When I went in to license it I came out with the plate type that I will have to get tabs for every year is this right? If not what can I do to fix it? I want it to be leagal becasue I will be using it for bowhunting on state land during the fall. Please help.

I checked with both the dnr and the license bureau. The dnr stated to me that if you hauled anything at all in it that it would have to be licensed, even if I was just using it as a ice house.

I then called the license bureau and they stated that if it was only being used as a ice house, a shelter license was all that was needed. They also stated that if I also used it to camp in I would have to license it.

All I get is a shelter license as I only use it for ice fishing.

If you do use it for camping and hunting with only a shelter license, theres a good chance that you will be ticketed.

Ron

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Ronsay is correct.

Also,
If you use it for hauling other than going from your ice fishing destination and/or back, then it will need to be licensed as well.

Where can one get this license without a bunch of hassle? After spending 2 hours watching old people fail their vision test, and then being handed a stack of documents needing info from manufacturers, I walked out. Ignorance is my plea if pulled over. Might not work in every situation but it's not that great a stretch really.

------------------
IBOT's # 17 & 248

I must be lucky as I have taken mine and my dads (alot) camping all over for years and never been questioned or ticketed for not being licensed ??
Mine looks like a fish house, but my dads looks like a nice camper trailer and we go to surrounding states camping..

Thanks to all that gave input. I got the plate and that will work out good for what I use this shanty for. i know i could have went a different way and took the chance, but to me it is not worth the risk.