• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha 150 HPDI

Diago

Question

I have a Yamaha on my Bass Boat and would like to get more speed out of it. It looks like the 150 to 200 HP Yamahas have the same head and carburation. Could I put a new chip in to make it faster? I appreciate the help.

Jim

6 answers to this question

Cant help with any mod to the chip. If it is possible you would also need a different prop.
How are your RPMs at WOT? Are they in the recommended range? Do you have a jackplate? How bout the height of the cavitaion plate in relation to the keel of the boat? Lifting the motor up a notch may give you higher speeds.

These guys are on the right track with the jackplate and prop. I wouldn't suggest any tampering or tuning on the motor. Unlike a 4-stroke or a car engine, even modifying the air cleaner can change the fuel mixture, and burn up your motor.

------------------
Steve @ www.bakkensboatshop.com

Just thought of something else. One avenue you could try is to check with your Yamaha dealer. They may know if there are any modifications or parts that can be added. That way, too, if there is a problem, you didn't void any warrenty by tampering with it. If they are involved, at least you've got someone to fall back on.

------------------
Steve @ www.bakkensboatshop.com