• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

motor problems

Iceman12

Question

Wondering if anyone has a solution to a problem with a motor. I have a 1973 65 HP Evinrude. When I start it up it idles fine, maybe a little high sometimes too. But when you got shift into gear it's like that engine quits getting fuel. It will either kill or will only run at about 1/3 speed. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 answers to this question

not sure if this is the problem but had a similar problem with my 1980 115 evinrude started fine then when i went to trottle it only ran 1/2 way even though it was wide open and it was a plastic piece that broke that let the motor go to higher rpms not sure what it was called but could be your problem... it only cost me 2.50 for the part and 1/2 hour of labor.. hopefully it is that easy for you.. i think it was called high idle advancement linkage..

Check all the gas lines for cracks and loose clamps. Check each cylinders compression. Is it good? Next thing I would suspect is dirty carbs, filter or weak fuel pump.
1. After you checked all the lines replace the fuel filter. Run the motor.. Next lets rule out fuel pump by disconnecting the gas line at the pump and replace it with a hose with the other end in a container. Pull the plug wires and place them so they cant arc to the powerhead. Squeeze the gas bulb up till it starts to run into your container. Turn the motor over noting the gas flow volume and pressure. Last would be to clean the carbs.

Surface tension. Is that process you explained how you would check the compression? If not how would you go about checking that? The carbs were taken apart and cleaned. Sea foam has been run through the motor as well. The motor seems to be running well when the muffs are put on and the motor is run out of the water. Thanks a lot for the help guys.

[This message has been edited by Iceman12 (edited 07-18-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Iceman12 (edited 07-18-2003).]

Those steps were for testing your fual pump. Compression test is to evaluate the condition of your piston rings and walls. If I can find a link to send you with pics and a full discription I'll send it to you.
You may be better off bringing it to a small ma&pa shop to have it tested unless you can find a tester to test it with. Its very simple and fast to do so cost should be low.

S.T. has correct procedure, I would check compression right away, if it does perform well when out of water, it's probably due from lack of backpressure on your exhaust (throught prop), a lack of compression can cause this problem. Also check inside hub of prop, to see if there is something stuck in it.

Let us know.