Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NateEboy-1

2 stroke vs 4

14 posts in this topic

I have an 87 merc 40 hp 2 stroke on an 87 alumacraft dominator tiller. The boat is rated for 60 hp. Would a 60 hp 4 stroke be too heavy for this boat? I am thinking of getting the max. hp for the boat and would like to know the pros and cons. Thanks, Ken

My opinion:

If you don't go with the 4 stroke, get a 2-cycle Yamaha.

Very smooth running, quiet, and fuel efficient engine for a 2 cycle.

Also, Yamaha outboards are very reasonable in price, being much less expensive then many other competitive 2 cycle outboard manufacturers.

UJ

FYI:

Check out the new Bombardier/Evinrude E-TEC outboards. I think I'd be leaning towards one if I were shopping -- fuel efficient, clean, quiet, but lighter than typical 4-strokes.

4 strokes are the only way to go in my opinion... the direct inject engines are good, but you still have to mess with oil on those.. 2 strokes are smokey, noisier, and much more costly to operate (both gas mileage and oil).

I have a Suzuki 115 - 4 stroke that has been very good. If I was looking at a 60 HP, I would probably go with Mercury on that. They build up to 60 HP, above that is Yammi. The 60 HP EFI Merc. is a very nice engine that I'm sure you would be happy with.

Suzuki I believe make the Bombardia 4 Strokes or else they are very similar from what I have heard. A Merc 4 Stroke has the exact same powerhead as a Yamaha but once you get below the engine is where they differ. I know that if I were in the market for a 4 Stroke it with out a question would be a yamaha.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

iffwalleyes,
That is not correct. Up to 60 H.P. Mercury 4 strokes are made by mercury, not Yamaha. Above 60 H.P. they are still using Yamaha powerheads.

I believe, but not positive that suzuki is still making some 4 strokes for bombardier. That is how it was in the past with Johnson/Evinrude.

The Johnson 4-stroke engines are Suzuki's with a white paint job. Identical mechanically. Great Engines.

The Evinrude lineup are the direct injected type engines, not 4 strokes.

The new 2 cycle Yamaha's start like a car as well.

I put the motor down, turn the key, and it's running.

These motors have an electronic automatic choke system built into them. Cold starts at 30 degrees, semi-warm starts when the motor has been off for 45 minutes, or starts when it's 95 degrees out...It has worked great everytime.

Just my .02

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
unitedjigsticker@aol.com

What I like about the Four-strokes is that you don't have to choke them to start it. All you have to do is back the boat in, turn the key, and your ready to go. Starts just like a car.

A four stroke wont give you the hole-shot a 2 stroke does but the top-end speed is there.

A four stroke is the way to go in my opinion.

------------------
Fish ON!

NateEboy-1: I totally agree with Pike. I just purchased a Yamaha 4-stroke 75hp for my Pro-V. I am not into dragracing anymore, so the hole shot is not important to me. At high rpm, you can still talk to people in the boat with you without having to yell above the scream of the motor. I traded off a 70hp Yamaha 2-stroke. The high-end speed is still there, but, the 75hp 4-stroke is much quieter.

I would not buy another Merc until they get a decent tiller handle. There is no reason you should have to reach back to the cowling to shift. The merc designers need to pull their heads out of the sand. Just expressing my opinion. Next year Yamaha will have EFI in the smaller horses.

The Merc. 60 HP is EFI, which I would go with over the Yammi as well. I understand the tiller issues on Merc. I know they don't put a lot of time/money into the tiller market, where as Yamaha does. I'd go with Yamaha if I was going tiller, but I would wait for the EFI. If going console, the Merc. EFI in 40-60 H.P. are great engines. You can also get SmartCraft gauges on the Merc. engines for another $500.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• wear a good balaclava and get a open face with a cold weather breath box never had a problem
    • In my opinion I would look for a nice used wingmaster 2 of my friends have bought a new 870 express about a year apart and they both had the same shell extraction problems. Maybe just a fluke but when I see two different people have the same problem with a Gun makes me think to find a different choice. Heck I have a Mossberg 500 that I treat like poop and I have never had one single malfunction.   I have shot my friends newer express and I can really tell the difference in quality beside my wingmaster  
    • I have Ice Kings.  They are in a word, awesome.  They are about 20-25 years old. Dang I hate dating myself but I have never even bought new liners for these boots.  They are probably one of the finest products I won.  I have never had so much as a chill i my feet.  I usually fish outside but if I am in a flip over, my feet are usually on the ice.  Again, never a chill.  I typically wear a midnight smart wool sock.   For some reason I have been considering new boots.  I guess it is the weight, I would love to have something that is not s heavy and also has better traction.   Today I visited Joe's Sporting Goods and saw some really nice boots (they have a great selection) by Muck, Lacrosse, Sorel, Baffin and some other Canadian made boot that looked very nice. I checked out the ice Kings........they are not the same boot as I have, they don't seem to have the quality to me.  They might be as warm but the rubber feels more stiff almost like it would crack, the uppers are solid leather, mine are leather and corder combo.  The liner also seemed thinner.   After looking at all the boots, I am surprised none offer water proof uppers. Also I am not entirely certain why some seem extend up to your knee with insulation.  Just seems like Over kill because most who would where these boots owed also have some sort of insulated pant on.  Overall I found the boots to be pretty heavy, I was surprised with 20 years past boots have not advanced more.
    • But will be missed but most.............you mad bro?    
    • You boxed yourself.   He was not supporting the Vikings stadium, he was saying that Republicans supported it and now are feigning outrage over the cook subsidy. And then not to be outdone the Republicans are now celebrating the Carrier subsidy.   Pretty much just reinforced his point.      
    • Think we should change the topic to "Trump for Trees."........and all will be well.
    • Had to go all the way back to Missouri to hunt in the snow this year! Beautiful morning but not much movement. Did see some late rut activity Friday.
    • Dotch, you guys over there are almost famous....   Almost because it is Waseca, but whatever.    Mark Seeley's weather blog... http://blog-weathertalk.extension.umn.edu/   .... Waseca now reports 54.13 inches of precipitation for 2016 and this is a new statewide annual precipitation record, surpassing the old one of 53.52" at St Francis (Anoka County) in 1991.
      ....   And an interesting thought...(from Mark, not me) Commentary on Winter TIME: No question will be answered this week, but I want to take TIME to make a comment about Winter TIME. Managing the TIME in the Winter Season in Minnesota is a different ball game than other seasons of the year, because everything takes longer. No question winter will be felt more frequently soon in the daily weather, and snowfalls will become more frequent this month. The rash of bicycle, pedestrian, and vehicular accidents reported during the snow storms towards the end of November reminded me about adjusting for Winter TIME. Our concept of time needs to be adjusted. Lengthen the time intervals that you have intuitively built-into your everyday habits and tasks. It takes longer to walk places, longer to drive places, longer to dress and undress, longer to warm up the car, longer to degomble (shed snow) when you come into the house. You need to make time to shovel snow, scrape the windshield, clean the furnace filters, When you walk take shorter steps and not too fast...put the boots, gloves and hat on when you go outside....check on the neighbor if their place hasn't been shoveled...everything should slow down..except for the long Minnesota goodbye..that is better shortened...just say goodbye, open the door, leave and close the door behind you....no need to stand in an open doorway for minutes conversing about last minute stuff. Winter TIME is an adjustment that may save you anxiety, regret, or even injury.
    • Would you use a bobber on your rattle reel with these? I would think a lively minnow would pull the line out of the contacts.
    • My my, how the mighty have fallen...  I went back to the thread on the cook subsidy, and what did I find in the second post from you, on the second page....     Gee, you were ok with the 66 million because it wasn't a stadium or something, but now all butt hurt over 7 million of Indiana money?    Now that there is a funny joke.  
  • Our Sponsors