• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 stroke vs 4

NateEboy-1

Question

I have an 87 merc 40 hp 2 stroke on an 87 alumacraft dominator tiller. The boat is rated for 60 hp. Would a 60 hp 4 stroke be too heavy for this boat? I am thinking of getting the max. hp for the boat and would like to know the pros and cons. Thanks, Ken

13 answers to this question

My opinion:

If you don't go with the 4 stroke, get a 2-cycle Yamaha.

Very smooth running, quiet, and fuel efficient engine for a 2 cycle.

Also, Yamaha outboards are very reasonable in price, being much less expensive then many other competitive 2 cycle outboard manufacturers.

UJ

FYI:

Check out the new Bombardier/Evinrude E-TEC outboards. I think I'd be leaning towards one if I were shopping -- fuel efficient, clean, quiet, but lighter than typical 4-strokes.

4 strokes are the only way to go in my opinion... the direct inject engines are good, but you still have to mess with oil on those.. 2 strokes are smokey, noisier, and much more costly to operate (both gas mileage and oil).

I have a Suzuki 115 - 4 stroke that has been very good. If I was looking at a 60 HP, I would probably go with Mercury on that. They build up to 60 HP, above that is Yammi. The 60 HP EFI Merc. is a very nice engine that I'm sure you would be happy with.

Suzuki I believe make the Bombardia 4 Strokes or else they are very similar from what I have heard. A Merc 4 Stroke has the exact same powerhead as a Yamaha but once you get below the engine is where they differ. I know that if I were in the market for a 4 Stroke it with out a question would be a yamaha.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

iffwalleyes,
That is not correct. Up to 60 H.P. Mercury 4 strokes are made by mercury, not Yamaha. Above 60 H.P. they are still using Yamaha powerheads.

I believe, but not positive that suzuki is still making some 4 strokes for bombardier. That is how it was in the past with Johnson/Evinrude.

The Johnson 4-stroke engines are Suzuki's with a white paint job. Identical mechanically. Great Engines.

The Evinrude lineup are the direct injected type engines, not 4 strokes.

The new 2 cycle Yamaha's start like a car as well.

I put the motor down, turn the key, and it's running.

These motors have an electronic automatic choke system built into them. Cold starts at 30 degrees, semi-warm starts when the motor has been off for 45 minutes, or starts when it's 95 degrees out...It has worked great everytime.

Just my .02

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

What I like about the Four-strokes is that you don't have to choke them to start it. All you have to do is back the boat in, turn the key, and your ready to go. Starts just like a car.

A four stroke wont give you the hole-shot a 2 stroke does but the top-end speed is there.

A four stroke is the way to go in my opinion.

------------------
Fish ON!

NateEboy-1: I totally agree with Pike. I just purchased a Yamaha 4-stroke 75hp for my Pro-V. I am not into dragracing anymore, so the hole shot is not important to me. At high rpm, you can still talk to people in the boat with you without having to yell above the scream of the motor. I traded off a 70hp Yamaha 2-stroke. The high-end speed is still there, but, the 75hp 4-stroke is much quieter.

I would not buy another Merc until they get a decent tiller handle. There is no reason you should have to reach back to the cowling to shift. The merc designers need to pull their heads out of the sand. Just expressing my opinion. Next year Yamaha will have EFI in the smaller horses.

The Merc. 60 HP is EFI, which I would go with over the Yammi as well. I understand the tiller issues on Merc. I know they don't put a lot of time/money into the tiller market, where as Yamaha does. I'd go with Yamaha if I was going tiller, but I would wait for the EFI. If going console, the Merc. EFI in 40-60 H.P. are great engines. You can also get SmartCraft gauges on the Merc. engines for another $500.