• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dodge Dakota towing

radke22

Question

Has anyone had experience with towing a large boat 3,000lbs with a 2wd newer dodge dakota? recently purchased a 86 lund that is a tank and will be getting a new vehichle this summer and the new dakotas really caught my eye.

6 answers to this question

Radke22,

I've been pulling my 17 1/2 foot Tuffy (fiberglass) for the last two years with my 2001 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4. Have the small V-8 (318 ci) in it and haven't had any problems at all. Just take it out of overdrive and you'll be okay. Actually, the truck has plenty of power to spare.

------------------
Jaw Breaker Guide Service
Phone: 218 778-0087
[email protected]
http://fishtec.com/guide.htm

if you can afford it go for the cub cab 4x4 model with the 318. I have a 1997 model, pulled a 3500 trailer back from WI last year. Did 70 most of the way with no problems.

Just make sure you get the V8! You shouldn't have any problems. Hopefully the trailer has brakes on that boat or consider a trailer upgrade. It will save you on the wear and tear on your truck brakes.

I would go for the 4x4, with a heavier boat you'll find handy put it into 4x4 to pull out of landing.
Nothing worse than a trailer stuck in the water and your new truck spinning tires trying to get out.
I have a RAM 1500 4x4, and many times I had to get the extra traction to avoid getting stuck on steep ramps or where concrete ends and trailer sinks into silt.
Of course I know of people helping pushing rig out with outboard motor rolleyes.gif