• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter Shacks?

Question

Two questions here?
Of all the shacks that I have browsed this year I am still sold on the Otter II Magnum @ 80lbs. Anyone have anything to tell me about why I shouldn't go with this model.

Heading up to Reeds today to see what they have left so who is the one to talk to about cutting me a great cash deal?

13 answers to this question

Did you try Capras down in Blaine? I was in there a couple weeks ago and thought that I remember seeing a few left. Don't know if it the specific one you are looking for but it can't hurt to call. From your profile I see that you are in Aitkin, kind of a drive but if you can save 100 bucks, and only spend 20 in gas it would make sense. Hope this helps.

Chiro, food for thought. I almost bought an otter but at the last moment decided on a trap voyager and really like it. I hae two kids that like to fish with me and they wouldnt fit in an Otter with me, but all three of us do fit in the Voyager. About the same price too.

------------------
I fish, therefore I am.

Reeds web page still shows that they have them for sale. So unless they don't update their web page you should still be able to get one. The magnum is awesome just got one a couple months ago and it is so nice. Another idea here at the end of the season look for a used one. That is what I got saved almost 250 with everything I got over the price of a new one and it condition isn't to bad a couple small holes easily patched.

I bought a fishtrap voyager in january and took it up to lake of the woods on 1 trip .
The velcro tabs that hold the poles in place tore off of the canvas.
Also the sled itself is much thinner plastic so if you intend to tow this sled any distance it will wear out quickly.
I bought it at cabelas and traded it in for a otter II magnum .( cabelas is very good if you buy something from them and are not satisfied )
The otter II is actually a bit bigger and a much better built house! I bought their bench seat (from otter HSOforum) and its really comfortable with this setup! (a little spendy though ,but worth it!)

fishrmn, sounds like you got a lemon, did the stitches just unravel or did it actually tear? Have used a friends voyager for 2 seasons now and havent had any trouble with it. Seems to me that the ice armor fabric is tougher than the otter canvas. I would agree the otter sled is thicker, put some hifax runners on the trap and you will never wear out the bottom. I dont mean to turn this into a chevy/ford discussion smile.gif

------------------
I fish, therefore I am.

Ya Hey Der,
Yes, I bought a magnum at the end of the season and they were throwing in a cover. So since I would have gotten one anyway I saved $50+. Very nice house too, I'd recommed them to anyone.

Scott

Like the others have said , go to Canvas Craft in Anoka. I bought an Otter Magnum there in December and I really like it. I got everything at once, tow bar, hyfax and cover. They threw the cover in with the purchase of the tow bar and hyfax kit.