• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WiFi capable sonar/gps

HateWork

Question

Hello,

i am looking at it he HB Helix 10 MEGA si and the Garmin Echomap 93sv.  I want opinions of having a WiFi capable unit like the Garmin, is worth it? From my understanding I can update maps using the Garmin ActiveCaptain app. I can see what his being a plus compared to the HB. I understand the MEGA will give a clearer di and si image but if I can update the mapping with WiFi is the trade off worth it?  I have been out of the open water sonar game for several years, so any advice would be appreciated.  

6 answers to this question

Thought I answered this, but it disappeared...  My Bad.  

I would not trade performance on the water for convenience in updating.

Bird will link to Minnkota, Lowrance will link to motorguide.  Garmin links to nobody, if that is significant for you.  

The question is whether WiFi is worth much.   My answer is not so much.   I could take the unit inside to update or whatever, which is something a person does not often. 

The performance on the water is the most important to me.  

If updating is the only use for the wifi, then I would vote for the Mega over the WiFi.  And the bird can connect to a MinnKota trolling motor ipilot link.  Garmin won't connect to any trolling motor (lowrance goes with motor guide.)

I guess I figure the job is to look at the bottom, tell where you are, and fish.    Not sure how the wifi improves that, so doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

I appreciate the advice.  Since I am just getting back into open water fishing I’m not up to speed on electronics.  How often are lake maps updated?  According to Garmin I can upload new maps with WiFi but if maps are not updated too often then I would rather go with the HB MEGA.  

I have wifi on my lowrance elite Ti unit. I use it mostly to mirror the screen on an Ipad.  Any unit that can do live mapping kind of eliminates the need for instant downloads of new maps IMO