Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Getanet

Question about Nils Auger Operation

6 posts in this topic

I have the orange Nils that connects to a drill. The other weekend my buddy and I were using it to cut through about 2 feet of ice. When I cut a hole I just start cutting and keep going until it breaks through. When my buddy used it, he kept lifting it up every 4-6 inches or so to clear the shavings and dropping it back down with the drill still going full speed. I've seen people do this on YouTube videos plenty of times when using various augers that attach to drills, and it didn't bother me at the time. 

But now I'm wondering if that technique could either damage the Nils blade or the drill?  Or maybe I just have too much time to overthink things on my commute to work and home each day.

Getting the shavings out of the hole can help it not pack up and bind.

As long as you are not banging it hard when you hit the ice I don't think it should be an issue. Mostly because there will always be a small amount of shavings still in the hole to buffer the blade when dropping it back down.

leech~~ likes this

If the drill is underpowered you can lift but it isn't necessary to do that often.

With my Milwaukee 2704 and 8" Nils I have no problem letting the drill work its way through 24" of ice in one shot.

I know the K Drill says to lift it a few times to pull out the chips so it doesn't bind!

Yes I know Frank, it's Not a Nils!  Lol :D

Thanks for the input guys. I'm using a DeWalt 20v drill and a 6" blade. It doesn't have any problems cutting through the ice, so it sounds like the lifting is unnecessary but not really doing any harm either.