Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

pikeandchester

2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 common problems?

3 posts in this topic

Found a Tundra for what looks like a decent price. 2011 double cab sr5 5.7l with 64,000 miles. With a little  research I am finding what seems to be a lot of issues with the limp mode and cold weather starting. I read some posts from last year on this site and am wondering if anyone worked through the issues and is satisfied. I like the specs on the truck, towing, cargo capacity, and motor specs but am a bit nervous. Does anyone know if Toyota has resolved these issues? Should I steer clear? Thanks.

2008 with 70k and no issues other than the ebrake has finally started sticking.

I think the issue you are referring to is the secondary air pump problem. In some cases water builds up in them and then things go wonky. The vehicle will go into limp mode and limit throttle until the problem is resolved. Toyota has extended the warranty coverage on these, i am not sure what they extended it to.

Thanks for the info. I read up on the air pump. From what I can tell Toyota extended the warranty on model years thru 2010 to 10 years or 150,000 miles. Still read reports the problem exists in 2011 and 2012 which are not covered. There is a bypass kit that can be installed, reasonably priced, so maybe the problem isn't a deal breaker. I appreciate the response Jeremy!