• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 common problems?

Found a Tundra for what looks like a decent price. 2011 double cab sr5 5.7l with 64,000 miles. With a little  research I am finding what seems to be a lot of issues with the limp mode and cold weather starting. I read some posts from last year on this site and am wondering if anyone worked through the issues and is satisfied. I like the specs on the truck, towing, cargo capacity, and motor specs but am a bit nervous. Does anyone know if Toyota has resolved these issues? Should I steer clear? Thanks.

2008 with 70k and no issues other than the ebrake has finally started sticking.

I think the issue you are referring to is the secondary air pump problem. In some cases water builds up in them and then things go wonky. The vehicle will go into limp mode and limit throttle until the problem is resolved. Toyota has extended the warranty coverage on these, i am not sure what they extended it to.

Thanks for the info. I read up on the air pump. From what I can tell Toyota extended the warranty on model years thru 2010 to 10 years or 150,000 miles. Still read reports the problem exists in 2011 and 2012 which are not covered. There is a bypass kit that can be installed, reasonably priced, so maybe the problem isn't a deal breaker. I appreciate the response Jeremy! 

Bought a base model 2011 Toyota Tundra DC back in January 2017 with tow package , 5.7 liter and 47,000 miles. Pulls the fish house as if it is not even back there!  Sorry Jeremy, should have posted about my purchase a long time ago. Thanks for your input!   Bought the truck after buying a fish house that I originally intended to pull behind my Jeep Liberty. Liberty actually pulled it OK, even appreciated it for earlier ice this year,  but glad I got the Toyota for the longer hauls. Made two trips to Lake of the Woods so far.  Almost a year and a half in and no compaints.

I am 110k on my 08 Tundra.  My mpg was starting to drop a bit so I just changed the original spark plugs and they were all still looking pretty good but do for a change. Cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor. should be all set for another 100k now. 

Now if if we can get rid of this cold and horrible winter blend gas hoping to see mpg improvement.

Winter blend sure doesn't help. The 5.7 isn't the most fuel efficient. especially with the 4:30 rear end that is included with the tow package, but sure do like the torque and horse power! Got 11.2 MPG average over about 800 miles pulling the fish house to and from Lake of the Woods the first time, about 10 MPG fighting the wind the last time, which I thought wasn't too bad. Took it to Wisconsin Dells this last winter and got 14 MPG running mostly Interstate HWY, unloaded.  All I've done is change the oil and grease the U-joints so far, although I don't put a lot of miles on. Bought it January 2017 with 47,000 miles and as of April 2018 has 51,500.