• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Putting a Sable battery in a Corolla

Our 1996 Sable is on its last legs. Going to junk it or donate it. Can I put the new battery from it into a 2005 Corolla. I think it would fit physically (it would be tight), but would this larger battery hurt the alternator or anything else on the Corolla?

Check the group numbers and check the dimensions here. http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm 

It looks like the sable battery is about an inch longer than the average corolla battery. The other thing to consider is if the posts are on the same side. Battery cables do not have a lot of reach so if the terminals are opposite one another or they are in a different position in the battery it may not work.

I also believe that the battery holddown on the corolla does not have much flexibility. It is pretty much ment to hold down the battery it was designed for. If it will not hold your battery securely in place than its a no go.

Otherwise a larger or smaller battery will not make much of a difference for the vehicle. Its sole purchase is to start the vehicle. European cars on the other hand are a whole different ball game!!!

12 hours ago, delcecchi said:

OK, now I am curious.   What about batteries for European vehicles is different?   I know my bug battery was under the back seat and couldn't be too tall, but nowdays what is it? 

Some of the higher end models require you to use a scan tool to tell the computer that you have installed a new battery and what battery you installed. Failure to do this can result in an alternator failure.

1 hour ago, Jeremy airjer W said:

Some of the higher end models require you to use a scan tool to tell the computer that you have installed a new battery and what battery you installed. Failure to do this can result in an alternator failure.

Huh.  That's different.  Learn something new every day. 

Thanks.