• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Headlight Quality

I need a pair of headlights for a 1998 Buick Century, so I have been checking out some options. Of course being an older car, I like the prices of those I see on bay of E. About 75-80 bucks a pair.  Anyone try these, are they junk or not too bad. Anyone have any other suggestions or sources for good, but not spendy head lights? I assume Factory ones are really spendy? Cheapest ones at Napa or O'reilly are about $100 for one. Not sure if these are better or not. Saw O'reilly selling a TYC brand for about $113 for one and it was on bay of e for $60.

I also have already tried to clean them, they are beyond that at this point.

Thanks.

I think he is talking about headlamp lens assemblies, Not bulbs.

There are a couple of options. You may find a couple of decent ones at your local salvage yard or "U-PULL"

You can also try a company called LKQ (formerly keystone i believe) they will have aftermarket as well as used options.

Otherwise pull the trigger on the hsolist ones, if they last a couple of years you probably got your moneys worth. The real qustion is how will they fit?

There are also headlamp restoration products if your lenses are yellow or cloudy. These usually involve sanding with various grits, polishing, and then sealing the plastic to protect them. 3M has a nice kit available at your local NAPA. If you can find a WYNNS kit they are also pretty good. Other wise the 2 beer redneck option would be to start with some 200 grit to get all the yellow off, work your way up to 2000 grit (I prefer wet sanding). Use a light polish to finish the process. Finally hit it with some clear coat.

None of the aftermarket housings are likely anywhere near as good as OE. I've run in to some weird beam patterns on the cheapies along with poor fit/finish and adjusters that break immediately. Used frequently have seized adjusters. As far as worth it for a 98 Buick, that's your call. Good vision ranks up there with good brakes and tires!

I no longer call LKQ. They are almost as much or more than aftermarket or even OE for my last few searches! 

The best place to search used is car-part.com

Yes, I meant the headlight housing. I did clean them a  little last night, so that helped some. I think I will stay away from the real cheapies. Maybe take a look at the TYC ones(read alot of positive reviews on them) or maybe some used ones.  Thanks for the input.

I've used RockAuto.com. for a few things and been completely satisfied. Personally, i wouldn't spend top dollar for a 1998 vehicle. It's already 18 years old and unless it's a collector car, aftermarket parts will probably outlast it. How long do you plan to keep it?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,1998,century,3.1l+v6,1313683,body,headlamp+assembly,10762

So, I finally got some headlights for the old Buick Century last week, as it is still running pretty good. Since my daughter drives it some, I figured she needs to see better, even though she says the old ones are ok! 

I remembered this thread and decided to go with the NSF certified TYC lights from Rock auto. They actually came early, which was nice. They fit decent and shine alot better than the old ones. Had to figured out how to adjust them, so instructions would of been nice. The pair cost me $107 to my door, about $90-100 less than if I bought them from Oreillys. Perfect for an old car.

I also just ordered a TYC fog light for my 03 ford ranger. We'll see how that works. Once again about half the price of an auto parts store, just what an old vehicle needs.

Thanks again for the info on this topic. Figured I would provide some feedback on aftermarket lighting. 

Saw this topic and the link to Rock Auto. I ordered up left and right headlight assembly's for my 04 Suburban. They fit right in and even included bulbs. $58.00 to the door delivered for the pair. Cannot beat the price and quality looks fine- better than the old dump I replaced. 

Now do I replace the daytime running lens assembly's and fog lamps?

Ordered on Thursday and delivered on Saturday 2 days early.

Edited by Sorgy