• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Remote Web Cam - Tech Tips Needed

Does anyone have any experience or tips for setting up a remote web cam? I'd like to put one up at the cabin and be able to check the lake from time to time while we are not there. I have a mini PC with direct network wire connection close to the picture window I could run it off, but I'm not sure how to keep the broadcast going. Equipment suggestions would be welcome too. Thanks!

1 hour ago, jjohnson5150 said:
Does anyone have any experience or tips for setting up a remote web cam? I'd like to put one up at the cabin and be able to check the lake from time to time while we are not there. I have a mini PC with direct network wire connection close to the picture window I could run it off, but I'm not sure how to keep the broadcast going. Equipment suggestions would be welcome too. Thanks!

Why not just get a camera that does WiFi and forget the pc.? The camera would probably work with a wired connection as well.  

The wifi connects to the internet, and typically it would go to web or phone.  I just typed

"wifi cameral" into amazon... or "webcam"

Here is like one of the first ones to show up

IP Camera, Uokoo 1080p WiFi Security Camera Built-in Microphone, Pan/Tilt with 2-Way Audio, Night Vision, Baby Video Monitor Nanny Cam, Motion Detection Wireless IP Webcam (Black-1080P)

by UOKOO

List Price:  
Price:  
You Save:  

In Stock.

Want it tomorrow, March 31? Order within 7 hrs 33 mins and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details

Sold by UOKOO and Fulfilled by Amazon.

Color: Black-1080P

• Full HD 1080P video clarity up to 1920*1080 even in darkness with video recording on SD card up to 64GB
  • Quick WiFi setup via iOS or Andriod smartphone using iSmartViewPro app.Remote access to the camera on Smartphone,Tablet,Mac or Windows PC
  • Wider angle with Pan 350 degrees (Horizontal) and Tilt 100 degrees (Vertical) and 4x digital zoom through APP remote control
  • Night Vision:Built-in IR LEDs allow you viewing and recording live video even in complete darkness
  • Uokoo IP Camera with Motion detection Andriod Phone alert and Email Snapshots Alert

I deleted price, I think that is a rule or something, but it is affordable (I saw a generic one for under 10 bucks, but that seemed too cheap) 

It has a bunch of reviews and answered questions so at least that would give you a starting place. 

On 3/30/2016 at 8:32 PM, jjohnson5150 said:

Install a wi-fi router and a DropCam.  Done.  You can check in remotely from a PC or smartphone whenever you want.

If you want to subscribe to their service they will record the video as well so that you can go back and watch if movement was detected on the camera.  You can also get emails/texts when movement is detected so that you can log into the camera and see what is going on.

I really like things between free and a gift. @jjohnson5150

Here is a post I did on iceleaders.com in May of 2015. Its called Back-er-up. The initial post talks about using the application to back by truck up and positioning my wheel house over a drilled hole.

http://www.iceleaders.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=317273.0

reply # 19 I show the old phone camera running on my PC. You can do it from any where as long as you have WiFi at your source of the video camera and the computer. It uses the IP address of the phone camera recording the video stream.

Free old cell phones are readily available. One with both rear and forward cameras work really great as you can switch the camera from anywhere with this App/PC link looking both outside your window and inside you home/cabin. When you get the phone you may need to buy a charging cable to plug the phone in and leave it plugged in.

Its called Web Of Cam, a free download that really works.