• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone want to guess

ZachD

Today we had puppy obedience class everyone loved him.. I figured it is a good way for him to get socialized with other people and other dogs. Today he made friends with a German Shepard, lab golden mix, a blue nose pit, and a couple other lap dogs I don't know what they were. We mostly worked on just with the other dogs. Then having everyone else in class holding the different dogs touching there feet wars and collar ect to get used to other people touching them and if kids grab there feet tail. Also worked on walking on unnatural surfaces. Tango walked through a big tunnel, over a log, across a ladder, on a skateboard, up a ramp and across a teeter-totter. He came home and was defecateed from playing with the other dogs! After a little nap he ate his midday meal after going to the bathroom outside we had a fun little retrieving session. I haven't been using the check cord because he was never wondering off he comes straight to me and gives me the bumper. If I see he starts to wonder off I will start using it. Tomorrow he gets to go over to my sisters to meet their dog and my nieces and nephew.

WP_20151212_11_57_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20151212_11_57_55_Pro.jpg

Good he is growing fast I think its time for the next size crate we have. He had his 2nd day of puppy socialization class today he is best friends with a golden/lab mix that he met last week. There was a new dog this week a wired hair pointer he liked him too. He has started to go sit by the door when he wants to go out today. He did it 5 times today! Progress is good.

He has been very mouthy lately always wants to chew on everything hands pants shirts. So we have been working on his bite inhibition. Seems like he is worse with my girlfriend but we will work on it. He lost 2 of his bottom teeth today.

Still throwing his bumper in the back yard for short sessions once or twice a day. I'm trying to make it to cabelas to get a dead fall bumper bird.

good luck with the bite inhibition, curious to see what it is and how it works.  I grasp the concept but I'm guessing you've got three pair of shoes sitting in the closest that eventually will prove otherwise!!!  Love the updates, keep em coming.

Once they start to want to bite or chew on hands, pant legs ect. I encorage it by putting my hand in front of them and if they grab for it I just roll there lip under there teeth and pinch there lip into there teeth applying enough pressure for them to stop, they figure it out pretty quick that it hurts..

Zack we have a club/informal Field trial tommoro at Central Mn retriever club in Sauk rapids, it's a good way to see how dogs are handled and trained and a good way to expose the puppy to all the sights and sounds..

My pup is mouthing everything and we are doing the lip thing. It is his second day here and I will be working him on lead in the basement with fetching. He is just 8 weeks old at this time and is making progress with his name, come, and sit. I thought about getting some natural bitters spray for the chair cross members and coffee table. 

At eight weeks you  don't want to be too hard on him or demand too much. I'd lean toward keeping things simple with come sit stay and quick response to his name. Then build on that.  Patience is the main thing. I'm no big time trainer but have gone round and round with more than a dozen of them and after while you sorta learn to get into their heads.

Love my black dogs!

have fun, let the pup have fun, work on peeing outside and teaching it the crate is a good place.  It's bonding time.  I wouldn't work on anything but learning how to train your dog by reading or watching videos, train yourself not the pup.   Coming to name, sitting, is fun stuff and your dog will retrieve if you had a little kid throwing stuff for them.  The other day I watched my teen age son throwing dummies for our 18 month old lab.  What a learning experience for me!  The kid was relentless in what he asked of the dog and the dog obeyed.  That dog knows my weaknesses and exploits them, my son was better than me.  Train yourself and when it's time train the dog.

This is my sixth dog and I still learn and need to.

Well he is getting better at being less mouthy he lost another tooth today on top in front.. I am going to stop the retrieves for a little bit while he is teething. Today was a lazy day me and him sat around and watched t.v

He is still going to the door and sitting in front of it when he wants to go out. I am going to start teaching him how to ring the bells that hang from the door handle to let us know he wants to go out. He has "touch" down (I can put my hand anywhere and say touch and he will bump it with his nose.) for now on when his goes to the door I will have him "touch" the bells we have.

Tango has also been losing hair balls it seems like his fluffier hair is going away. I looked at him today and said to my self  "dam you didn't look this shiny yesterday"

Lets see a pic of your pup moose!

tango.jpg

Edited by ZachD

FInn likes his naps.  Zach I am also going to get my pup to bump the bells when he wants to go out. Finn is scared to go down the  stairs still, but he watches the other dogs go down the stairs. 

Finn-2.jpg

good looking dog... It took Tango 5 days to learn stairs even now he wont go down the stairs from my garage to basement only the deck stairs which is fine by me downstairs is off limits for awhile. Where did you get him?

Thank you, I got him from a family out in Albany. He finally found out he can slide down the stairs like an otter. If I had a smart phone I would video it,  but I have dumb phone.  Finn is also not allow in the basement for a while. Finn napping again this morning. Keep up the good work on keeping us all posted on Tango's progress.

Well he is doing a lot better not nipping biting at the hands thank god! He still wants to go 150mph all the time. He still has a little problem trying to bite blankets pillows and he loves to try to get my hooded sweatshirt stings ect. Just trying to keep him busy with his toys though. Not doing much for retrieving right now he as he has adult teeth coming in I still will throw his soft bumper every once in awhile a couple times here and there. Here is a older picture I forgot when I took it but I liked it. I will try to get an up to date one sometime soon.

Thurs he goes to the Vet for last of his shot I am curious to see how much he weighs now since his first visit almost a month ago. 

winter.jpg

Well got the last of his shots and he is 23 pounds at 17 weeks looks like he's gunna be a shrimp.... The vet who did the shots asked if he was mixed with anything said he doesn't really have a lab face. Other than that he is healthy... Has anyone done the wisdom test or w.e its called that you send in for a DNA test? Has me second guessing if he is mixed now...
hopefully either way he will be a good hunting dog

I'd do the test, in the photos that are easier to see his ears seem different.  We had a lab that had a goofy head but I hunted with both parents of the dog, we called him Stingray some times.  

He will be your faithful hound but you'll know.  Unless he was free you can bust the chops of who you bought him from too.  Be kind of cool to have a mix and also be a good hunting dog, this positive.

Edited by leechlake

Well, from what I can see it looks like a young black Labrador.  You guys must be seeing something I can't.   Remember,    they change a lot and quickly for the first year or even two.

If you like the dog and it seems reasonably intelligent who cares?

Unless like everybody else on earth you plan to breed the dog and make some MORE Labrador puppies!

Retch, gag hurl!

On December 4, 2015 at 0:28 AM, ZachD said:

So I Got a new dog. Supposedly he is a pure bred but I have a hard time believing that but I still wanted him anyway. He was crate trained and introduced to birds already and he did a good job at getting pigeons when thrown and bringing them back. Curious on what others think he is mixed with. Also the white around the eyes from not having much hair there some kind of skin disease? It doesn't look red or irritated just lacks some hair. I guess I will find out on the first vet visit. Anyway hope to give this dog a loving home he deserves

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I'm just saying I see what the vet is saying

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong picture. The pictures just posted show a dog with what appears to be some mange type infection around its eyes. I was looking at a pup sitting in some snow.

Did this dog come with any papers?  If it did that will tell you what it should be.

I'm a bit confused here.  And the photos aren't the best either.

What the heck......if you end up with a dog and you like the dog and the dog likes you and you both enjoy each others company then you're fine.

Like a marriage!!

Thats the same dog I thought it was mange too but the vet tested and said it wasn't. Those 3 pics that leech quoted was from a month ago. The vet said some puppys get like that and as there immune system gets stronger it goes away and it has been.

the snow pic and the pic I just took are him as of lately

Here he is right now.. Either way I like him I am just curious what he actually is. He has papers but papers don't really mean anything.

WP_20160105_07_35_21_Pro.jpg

6 hours ago, Ufatz said:

Oh yes, papers DO mean something!!   Please review for us the documents you received with this dog.

I have akc registration papers, But that doesn't guarantee he is a purebred.

I ordered a Wisdom panel test just out of curiosity.

Anyway He has been really good temper these past couple days for me at least the g/f is still struggling a little bit but it will pass. I am excited for spring to come to get him in the water. ( although my ice fisher in me doesn't want the ice to melt. )  He already like water after I gave him a bath if I leave the bathroom door open he will run into it and hop in the tub haha.