• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Major Winds Move Birds

The wind howled so violently  last night it almost rattled the logs in my cabin and  lake foam piled up all over the front yard! Temperatures down and with the wind it was just plain raw out there.  You can bet that any waterfowl that might have been around this part of state moved with that wind last night and if you were planning on a BIG weekend of hot action I fear you are in for a disappointment. Might be about over for the year with pothole freezing.  But what a great morning it would have been for the big water birds.....a blustery, snowy howling wind morning and bunches of cans, redheads and bluebills scudding along the water-ahhhh.....now THAT is duck hunting.

Stay warm boys.

In NW Minnesota we still have geese flying around.  Even amidst this howling blizzard.  Only minutes ago I watched from my cozy warm living room as a group of geese "attempted" to fly passed my house.

They were actually coming up off our river bottom, and were trying with very little luck to fly Northwest into the wind.  About 50 feet off the ground they were just hanging there.  Frantically flapping their wings into a 30-50 mph head wind, with snow blowing hard into their faces.  Poor dumb critters.

Not much has frozen up here yet, and because of this I would expect to see at least some birds around for a little while longer.  There isn't much in the fields to eat.  I honestly can't remember a fall when our regional farmers were able to get all their crops off so quickly and efficiently, and get the ground worked up so quickly.  There isn't much left, even in the stubble, for the migrators to eat, so whatever does come down from Canada with this storm won't likely hang around for long.  But as long as there is some open water, and there will be for a while yet, we'll still have a few truly hearty birds loafing around town.

Just saw my first flock of snows come over. 

My contact in Big stone co is reporting flock after flock of snows and geese going over this afternoon. LOW south shores are still quiet bird wise. But a 40mph wind out of the NW has tone a sight up there. 

Edited by Neighbor_guy