• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Elite premium Ice House

wallyhunter430

Does anyone have any input on Elite Premium Ice houses?

I ordered one in may and put 1/2 down I still don't have it.  I did a lot of research on ice houses and it seems to be the best one on the market just wondering if anyone actually has one?

My rule of thumb is nobody gets a down payment of any amount from me. I tell them you deliver, then I will pay, or no product no pay:)   Any business that needs money up front has cash flow problems. Hopefully you will not have any problems getting what you paid for.  Good luck!!!

My rule of thumb is nobody gets a down payment of any amount from me. I tell them you deliver, then I will pay, or no product no pay:)   Any business that needs money up front has cash flow problems. Hopefully you will not have any problems getting what you paid for.  Good luck!!!

It's unrealistic to expect a company to build a custom $20-40k fish house, with no financial commitment from the buyer.  A business that would do something like that would very quickly have cash flow problems, and very expensive inventory sitting around.  

Best bet for the OP is to drive to their place of business, and try to figure out what is going on.  Phone calls, emails, and texts are way too easy for someone to ignore.  If anything looks fishy, I'd consult with your bank/credit card company to see if it is possible to get your money back, and probably an attorney.  Hopefully for your sake you had some sort of a written purchase contract.    

Always helpful to have that little digital pocket recorder running, too, with a face-to-face. And yes, IT IS legal. Second best is to have another person along with you, and make sure everything is documented. 

I put half down about a month ago on one and have a signed PO. After I put the money down I have lost all communication with Fred/Elite. Will not respond to texts, calls or emails. Was told the house will be done in mid-December, just a shell I am having done. Visited his shop several times before putting money down and seemed like a trustworthy person. Was extremely busy and was in the process was building (5) houses when I was there a month ago. 

Thanks everyone for your input. I did drive to elite s shop last week, he is building ice houses. He is really behind on building them. I did not get to meet the owner but I did meet some of his employees.  They do seem to know what they are doing and were very helpful.  I did not like the fact that my house was still not started.  So thats all I can do is hope that the owner will make it right and get my house done by ice up.

It's unrealistic to expect a company to build a custom $20-40k fish house, with no financial commitment from the buyer.  A business that would do something like that would very quickly have cash flow problems, and very expensive inventory sitting around.  

Best bet for the OP is to drive to their place of business, and try to figure out what is going on.  Phone calls, emails, and texts are way too easy for someone to ignore.  If anything looks fishy, I'd consult with your bank/credit card company to see if it is possible to get your money back, and probably an attorney.  Hopefully for your sake you had some sort of a written purchase contract.    

I do have a purchase agreement. And in the agreement completion states agreed upon between buyer and seller.

It looks like a "one at a time" operation.  The size of the shop looks like 3 maybe 4 houses at a time.  Maybe.  Did they give you a time frame when you might expect to get your house?  They look like a well built house on the page.  I am also interested in purchasing one but need to go visit them first.

When I was up there a month or so ago they had (5) houses going at one time. Putting the skins on (3) of them and building the frames on the others. Very well built house and easy to work with. I am going an extra 6" taller and going 102" wide on the outside which is about 4" wider than standard. Also the rear ramp door will be larger. I can get a full size ranger XP900 in it then. 

FYI to the guys looking, I by no way am affiliated or being paid for this, but I seen this new house builder at the St Paul show and they were sweet!

I guess the guy was one of the original owners/designers for the Firebrand fish houses. He broke away due to conflicts with the investor and started building his own in Litchfield MN called Black Bear Fish Houses. The pivot system was about the same as the Firebrand but the frames were WAY nicer. Their exterior finish was excellent too. Definitely worth the look and the prices were very competitive. blackbearfh.com is their page for a few pictures but it's not the greatest.

chaws, I looked at the page you gave and nothing

http://www.blackbearfh.com is the URL. Go into the Gallery for pictures and the Features/Specs option for build info. In person, the tongue and frame is definitely stronger built than anything on the market right now. Also, their bunk system doesn't have a 200lbs max rating, I'm 260 and I was hanging from the front of the bunk over the jacknife sofa and it barely moved.

As a side note, talking to another house company, I've decided that when I purchase or build a house, a built on AC unit for summer use won't be put on the house. The guy brought up that it would work just as well, be significantly less expensive and probably have less problems to just purchase a small AC until that's on wheels than have something cut through the roof. Something more like this. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZAFSHW?psc=1

http://www.blackbearfh.com is the URL. Go into the Gallery for pictures and the Features/Specs option for build info. In person, the tongue and frame is definitely stronger built than anything on the market right now. Also, their bunk system doesn't have a 200lbs max rating, I'm 260 and I was hanging from the front of the bunk over the jacknife sofa and it barely moved.

As a side note, talking to another house company, I've decided that when I purchase or build a house, a built on AC unit for summer use won't be put on the house. The guy brought up that it would work just as well, be significantly less expensive and probably have less problems to just purchase a small AC until that's on wheels than have something cut through the roof. Something more like this. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZAFSHW?psc=1

Chaws, I am in the process of finishing of an 8x16 Yetti.  I am going the same route with the AC, wasn't a fan of the roof mounted AC units.  The AC units on wheels still do need an exhaust hole to vent out of though.  Instead of running the exhaust hose through a window, I cut an extra fishing hole and catch cover in the "closet" of my shack so that everything is out of the way.  You can utilize the extra hole during the winter as a cooler (drill down 3/4 way and fill with beer). 

Must be nice I am still waiting!!!! Nothing but excuses I have gotten 4 completion dates none of them met.  I was told it would be done this week but I am not holding my breath.  When you pick yours up let me know if there is a 8X16 High gloss white one sitting there

Sucks to be you!!!  How long does it take to build one of the houses? I would ask for my money back and go somewhere else. Even if the company is legit and does not steal your money there is no way you will be using the house this season as the houses need to be off the lakes in a few weeks;)

25 minutes ago, slammer said:

Those black bear houses look like a quality house.  Where are from?

Looks like Litchfield, MN. The guy making them is one of the original guys that started Firebrand houses. He said at the ice show that these were basically Firebrand version 2.