• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bluegills in the Weeds

MN BassFisher

I fished a bit on New Years day with minimal results out deep. On 1/2 I ventured to a small lake in Wisconsin to target Bluegills and Crappie. I spent some time searching for Crappies in 18+ fow with little success so I focused on shallower water. It only took a few holes and I found Green Weeds which were holding some nice Bluegills. I had to weed through some small fish but achieved my goal of getting a few Bluegills to break the 9" mark.

mn bass fisher, have u ever tried fishing an inline reel? i only ask this cuz there may have been that elusive 10 incher down there and maybe just maybe your your lure was spinning just enough to turn that fish off. it wont always make a difference with aggressive fish but it can be a game changer when targeting large gills that are neutral or negative. good luck on your hunt for your 10+ and it looks like your on the right track.

Mn86-On another thread someone was saying they bought an in line reel and it did not stop the spin. Are you saying it will? A jig creates a 45 degree angle with your line, so when you drop your jig down the line will twist, the spin happens as this line spins out the twist. Mono is less likely to coil on these reels but that is a different animal. Nothing about an in line helps with spin. Jiggle your jig, use a spoon, or let it spin out. You think a swivel would help a lot. A swivel only helps a little, I might experiment with a chain swivel.

Good luck.