• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good (Cheap) Rods For A Beginner?

Hey guys, I'm looking at picking up a couple rods for trolling for trout/salmon on the Great Lakes and lakers on Lake Nipigon. I plan on running leadcore,dipsy divers, and maybe inline weights? I'm thinking either Daiwa Sealines or Okuman Cold Water or Convector reels, and some sort of rods. However when it comes to rods I'm clueless. I'm imagining the rods can be on the cheaper side, any good fiberglass should do? Just looking for recommendations from you guys. Thanks for the help guys!

Diawa Heartlands or Wilderness series or Shimano TDRs will work fine ,,,,There is a swap meet in Twig (Duluth area) that will have some great lakes fishing gear on april 5th if you can make it ,,,check the Duluth forum for more info

Thanks! I didn't think I'd wind up needing to spend a ton of money on rods. What would you guys recommend for lengths/actions? I was thinking 8'6-9' in medium and medium heavy actions? I'm not too worried about running a ton of rods right off the bat, I'm thinking of getting between 2-4 setups. I figure with four rods out I can run two with boards and still find it pretty easy to control everything. So maybe two medium rods and two medium heavies? The mediums for core and the MHs for divers, or additional leadcore rods? Thanks again for the help guys.

Thanks! I didn't think I'd wind up needing to spend a ton of money on rods. What would you guys recommend for lengths/actions? I was thinking 8'6-9' in medium and medium heavy actions? I'm not too worried about running a ton of rods right off the bat, I'm thinking of getting between 2-4 setups. I figure with four rods out I can run two with boards and still find it pretty easy to control everything. So maybe two medium rods and two medium heavies? The mediums for core and the MHs for divers, or additional leadcore rods? Thanks again for the help guys.

Yes to everything you posted but I would also get line counter reels.

And for the divers, I would suggest a no stretch line like Power Pro or Fireline. Some will tell you that you don't need snubbers for dipseys on Superior but I use them and, IMO, have lost fewer fish with them than without them

Rods mentioned so far will work fine. The Okuma leadcore and dipsey rods have a good rep and are pretty reasonable.

But good used rods can be the best deal if you look around. In fact some you find have seen little or no action at a pretty good discount.

Well I work at a certain store in Eden Prairie, off of 494 and Flying Cloud. Since I work there, I think buying Cabela's brand name products would be a...conflict of interest! It's embarrassing enough when I'm showing off big fish pix and I'm wearing my rain suit from the big C, lol.

I think what I'll try and do is get one or two Okuma combos, and one or two from Daiwa. Maybe a couple Coldwaters and GLVs, and a couple Sealines and Wilderness/Heartland rods.

I run TDR rods, either 8 or 8-6 in length and med and med heavy actions, sealines line counters in both 27 and 47 sizes.

These have worked very well for me.

Also have a few Penn GTI 320 reels I use too.

Al