• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Trolling Motor?

passinthru

Question

I have a 17' Lund pro sport and was debating on which motor to buy.

Most of my fishing will be on smaller lakes with a couple trips a year to LOW and or some bigger water.

I was going to buy the Minnkota 60 powerdrive because it was 60 lbs of thrust had a 60 inch shaft was 24 volts and $450.

Figured the longer shaft would be nice for big waves on big water. I have only had 12 volt systems before and figured the 24 volt would be nice also.

Got a phone call tonite from an aquaintance looking to sell a Minnkota AP with universal sonar. He only used it a couple times late last summer.

It is 55 lbs w/48" shaft and 12 volts.
Figured the built in sonar might be nice, but didn't know if 55lbs was enough for my boat,thought maybe the 60lbs was on the light side, and if the shaft was long enough for good size waves.

He is asking the same $450.

What do you think?

10 answers to this question

before you buy one, measure the distance from the top of your boat to where the water line is. i like the motor atleast a foot below the water line. if you fish ruff water alot then you would want a little more depth. you can also adjust the shaft , but i don't like to much sticking above the boat either. i would recomend going with a 24 v sys. i would also agree that 60 lbs. maybe a little lite. i have a 74 lb. minn. on my 17'6" . this has worked well for me, but my boat is a low profile too. doesn't catch as much wind. do yourself a favor and make sure you have enough power. my 2 cents worth! del

I would go with the 24 volt system. More power, batteries will last longer. Also, I would go higher than 60 lbs. More is always better. I believe there is a 74 lb 24 V powerdrive if you want to go that route. Go big, go strong, go 24 volt! wink.gif

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

Hey thanks for all the replies guys.

I didn't realize they made a 74 powerdrive, was just thinking the 60 powerdrive was a decent deal at cabelas. Do you know a price on the 74?

I've only had one autopilot, but didn't figure I used the feature enough to justify the expense.

Didn't know if the built in sonar was a big deal or not. Other wise I was kinda worried about shaft length, thrust, and volts on that one.

Sounds like I'm talking myself outta that one, huh.

tjwierz2; I'm about 22.5 miles southeast of Owatonna's Cabelas.

"are you concerned about hurting your friends feelings" I suppose that might be part of the equation also.

He's a brother of a good friend of my wives. only met him once and talked to him on the phone once, but he seems like a very good guy and I would like to hook up with him and fish. Seems very knowledgable about the lakes in our area.

Thanks again guys.

this site is awesome

passinthru, I have the same boat with a 48" shaft. It will pop out of the water in good sized waves, but they have to be rocking you pretty good. Bought mine from a friend too, only 44# thrust, but it's usually enough power. On bigger water like LOW I usually drift so it doesn't bother me too much, although I'd probably go with a longer shaft and more power if I had it to do over again.

lowe,

We usually drift up there also, but we do pull cranks quite a bit there too.

I',m thinking of holding out and buying a 65 to 74 lbs. 24 v. system.

I have a 115hp. yamaha on it and no kicker, so I'm thinking, the bigger the electric the better.

I don't like the powerdrive's. I think the cable drive is more responsive and accurate. Both will take some time to get to the point of not looking down at the arrow to see which way you're going. Seems more natural with the cable drive. Easier to move your foot heel to toe than side to side.