• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which GPS would you suggest?????

cliffy

Question

I am looking at purchasing a new hand held GPS and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I would mostly use it for marking my favorite fishing holes and some backpacking/camping. I currently own a Garmin Venture model but I am not too impressed with it. The screen is small and it seems to lack detail. Any suggestions? Thanks.

PS: I would like to spend 250.00 or less

10 answers to this question

I have a Magellan Map 330M. Good unit cant complain. You might not make it in your price range but get a mapping one. Also dont forget to add on the stuff u will need to use it. It all adds up cigarette lighter power cord, rechargable batterys and a charger. o and dont forget a holder for it they tend to slide of the dash otherwise. Price this stuff out and it will add $50 to $100 to the cost of your GPS. I wouldnt fish without mine tho. Hope this helps. D

I really like the Lowrance Global map 100. Have had this for about 2-3 years now and used it for both hunting and fishing. Very easy to use, and very accurate. Plus the built in map is pretty detailed as well. I have no complaints and would buy another one. I think these run right around $200 bucks.

chow

I own the Garmin Map 76. I am very impressed with the unit and I did a lot of research before I bought mine. It is well worth the money. If I had to do it over I would buy the Map 76S now. It comes with a barometric altimeter, that would be a nice addtional feature.

Cliffy,

I was going to look back at some of my old gps questions and responses and past them in here, but there is too much info. to do it. I'd suggest doing a search for my username on this forum and looking at some of the old posts regarding gps's. I've given a little info. and lots of others have given lots of info. Check it out and see what you come up with.
Most important is to learn what's available for options, decide what options are important to you, then get the unit that offers these options. Don't let the technical lingo fool ya- it's not rocket science.
Scoot

YHD,
I have the Sportrak Pro. I like it as it has 32MB RAM and NorthAmerica map built-in. All major highways are built in and provides everything that I was looking for...plus I got it as a gift, added bonus. I read on the Rhino and it looks like a great deal for a couple of hunters that are looking at purchasing the same type. The Rhino broadcasts each users position to the other so if you were on a push you could maintain the same width apart and know what is a clear angle to shoot. Of course safety first and I would never shoot when there is doubt. I would not allow a GPS to determine that. The Rhino appears to be the next big thing in the line of GPS. On-Star technology for cars has been using this for some time and it is starting to roll down to the hunting/fishing community at a reasonable price.

One thing that many of you gps owners may not be aware of is the software available for them. Almost everyone knows about Lakemaster and other similar packages for large lakes. However, you can get electronic topo-maps that let you upload and download waypoints, etc. to and from your gps for virtually ANY LAKE. If there's a topo map for the lake, you can get a gps-friendly version of it from:

http://fishingminnesota.com/gps-calibrate-lakemaps.html

Check it out- very cool product.
Scoot