• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boats for the river

SalmonSlayer

What kind of boats do you guys run for the river? I'm looking at getting a boat and plan to do a lot of fishing on the MN, but also on some metro lakes. Looking at older 70's 14' aluminum boats, lunds, alumacrafts, etc. Would the deep v model be too deep for the river? Catching up on sandbars and logs too often, or would I be alright? I have kids who will fish with me on the lakes, so I'd like a deeper, wider boat for stability purposes, but not if it's going to cause problems when I'm catfishing. Any advice would be appreciated.

i have a 16' crestliner which works great on the MN, i also use it on the croix which is like a lake with aircraft carrier size tuna boats running around and it does fine there too, but with that being said when the MN gets down to 3.5-4' i usually dont go out much in fear of wrecking a lower unit.

I have used everything from a 10 ft jon to a my current boat that is a 18ft Lowe Mod vee and this boat have been on Mille Lacs several times in 3-4 rollers and it handles it well just can't zoom across the lake with it in stuff like that as you will be feeling the affects in your back and shorts.

the picture in my avatar was a 16 ft vee hull aluminum boat with a twenty hp merc it worked very well too. grin

I went with a jon boat because I like the river so much (smallies) If you really want to fish the river a lot I would strongly consider a jon boat and a jet (or a River Pro). Last years water level was really low and there were places only a jet could get through. Just my .02 2c

Note: I have a 14' Lowe Big Jon with 25H Merc w/prop and I wish I had a bigger boat and a jet or River Pro would suffice just fine to.

If it was just the river, I'd do exactly what you suggest, but I can almost throw a rock into lake Waconia from my house, and I'd get beat up badly with a Jon out there. 7 mo old baby at home, so it's going to be Waconia during the week, river on weekends, whenever the boss lets me out of the house...

I've been on Waconia a few times in my lil boat. Strong windy days not a good idea, but it's a modified V so it can handle some "walleye chop". I also fish Tonka a lot and the yachts make the most waves. I also fish the MN and Crow for cats. It's a good multi-purpose boat.

Well good luck and I hope it works out.

There's a boat ramp in Dayton where it hits da Sippi. There's 1 in Rockford, and 2 in Watertown. I can only go when the water level is high, so mostly a spring time deal. This is why I want a jet, but that's not in the cards just yet.

There's a boat ramp in Dayton where it hits da Sippi. There's 1 in Rockford, and 2 in Watertown. I can only go when the water level is high, so mostly a spring time deal. This is why I want a jet, but that's not in the cards just yet.

where about is the one in rockford? the only ones I know of between rockford and delano are canoe carry in accesses.

I used to run the Crow from rockford down to the Sip for MMCD... had a mod-v jon in the spring, a zodiac with a jet for mid summer, and a canoe or just waders for the later parts of the year.

the zodiac was fun smile