• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

power auger auger replacement

Question

I have a old 49cc magnum it has low hours and runs great. The problem I am having is the hang up at the end of the cut. I eather get a leg full of handle or I spin a little. I know the new augers bont seeem to have this problem. I was wondering if I can alter mine or put a different auger on it and how cost efective it will be.

Red

8 answers to this question

Our power auger is the same model, we have many, many hours on it and it runs great. We had to replace the clutch in it a couple of years ago because we were having the same problem, it would dril fine until the bottom of the hole, then it would lock up. The clutch in the gear box was shot, but the catch is that they don't make it anymore, we had an inventive mechanic/blacksmith make ours and it hasn't worked this good in years! The other thing you might try is a new set of blades or a whole new shaft, ours twisted off in 38" of ice a couple years ago, we replaced it with a more modern shaft and cutting head and it works as well as the new augers and weighs half as much.
Selmer

Those chipper blades always did hang up just before it punched through the ice. We had two of them and they would always catch but never to the point where it would lock up and spin us. You can buy a new auger blade for it. We debated doing that with ours but opted to get a whole new auger (motor and blade). Just give Strikemaster a call and they can tell you where you could purchase just a blade. We've got the Lazer Mag 3 blade now and we don't notice it hanging up as much or at all. Good luck!

---------------

Fishn'Lady

It was nice to see this post move and me not notified Thanks!!!

Anyway the cutting blade was new at the end of last year so I know it is still fine I will see about getting just a new auger but I dont tink the price will be what I have in mind. I am gessing it will almost be cheeper to get the hole unit.

Single chipper blades bind at the end of the hole because of the physics of cutting. They are flat, and as the single flat blade begins to penetrate the bottom of the ice, they will bind somewhat.

A two- or three-blade system that has tapered or rounded blades doesn't bind as much, partly because the blades are angled and penetrate the last layer more gradually, and partly because there are more blades doing the cutting.

Doesn't matter the brand (Strikemaster and Jiffy both offer the option), the flat single chipper blades always do it. That's just life on the ice. grin.gif

On the other hand, those single chipper blades have been proven effective for more than 30 years, are far less touchy than the tapered Strikemaster blades, for example, and don't seem to ice up nearly as badly.

Well I am looking at replacing mine with a new one because I need to limit the hang up because of my back. I under stand how they work I have worked on some similar before. I am looking to se if it is worth it to change it or leave it alone.