• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mille Lacs Ice Trollers

DTro

I just read this on Facebook

"Guys are floating around on an ice island out on Mille Lacs!!! True story. Rescue team can't rescue them! Hovercraft down!!!"

What a crazy year, I hope everything works out OK for them. frown

I hate to speculate second hand, but it sounds like 4 adults and 2 kids somewhere around Sloppy Joes.

Sounds like they are scrambling because the Hovercraft was busted up in the rescue process.

Pioneer Press had an article this morning about a 71 year old guy who drove his ATV in, got out and fell in again while walking to shore. (got out again) Must have a floating suit. Pulling yourself out of the ice two times! That has got to burn some energy!

I talked with a guy on South Lindstrom today that was getting updates by facebook and phone from a friend up on Mille Lacs. It sounds like it was 2 of the brandts and some clients out on the flow. It was around the area of Sloppys and the hovercraft couldn't get to them on a couple attempts. I pray they make it out safe!

Tunrevir~

A piece of ice separated with a few folks on it. Jerry Brandt's son was one of them. Rescuers are out there. The floating ice floated back and attached itself to the bigger ice. Everyone got off of the floater. Everyone is okay but there is still an ambulance and lots of folks at Brandt's landing -- info courtesy Judi Deziel, local resident near site...

A crack opened up out of Myr Mar that was 40 ft wide, give or take. A guy was stuck on the other side, and the guys from the bar got a boat, paddled it across the crack, and then brought the guy back. He had to leave all his gear--including his snowmobile--on the other side. frown

Some conservation officers stopped by to check things out....they said it was the third time it'd happened today. Definitely not a good year so far.

Tony Roach posted this on Facebook about an hr ago

Quote:

Mille Lacs Update! Lots of people going threw and getting stuck on ice bergs on Mille Lacs Today! Heard of 10+ incidents today. We witnessed a crack that opened up 100 yds across by Miles long. Open Water!!! They had the hovercraft out on the lake from North to South. Use extreme caution! Stay close to shore if you are headed out on the lake.