• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick Question...

Jordyn Kaufer

Can someone tell me why people on C L try to sell their sleds for wayyy too much?????

I was looking at sno pro's and one will be at $1,700 and have 3,000 miles on it, cracked hood, and nothing done to it at all.. and then there will be one for the exact same price BUT, will have handle bar risers, handguards, black magic upgrades, clutch kit, and perfect seat condition with 1,500 miles on it....

Well some will pay it not knowing any better some may be trying to dump something quick, some just need the cash. I watch sled prices on several sites,midwest is the highest, sleds we pay $2500 here for you can buy farther north and east for about 1/3 or more less. I could put my 95 on the market at 1500-1800 and betting I get close to that out of it. Seen some on dealer lots selling for up to 2K

Just because a sled is at a certain price doesn't mean it's going to be sold.

Certain sleds on C List have been on there for over 2 years, and the people haven't lowered their price.

What people don't realize is sleds lose their value drastically as soon as you put on 5 miles. I see 2001 Polaris RMKs on C list for $3800, and I sold my 2008 RMK for $3600..Some people just don't get it.

Jack.

When ads are free its easier to play the waiting game. Start high, see what the interest is, drop it a bit.... any better? Leave it the same and wait, it all costs the same when its free!

My nephew actually did a test where he posted something on "the list" for free and then listed the same thing in another ad for 20 dollars. He actually had someone buy the item before anyone came to get it for free! Weird.... confused

I did that with my boat I sold this summer, put it on a little high after a week or 2 dropped it $500 and it sold. Had lots of interest but no solid offer the guy who bought it never even made an offer just paid asking price. More than paid for my new rig with cash left over for goodies and I got 5X better boat.

Jordyn,you can find some deals on a site like this but you have to have these things to make it work for you. 1)Time 2)Knowledge 3)Patience 4)Cash on hand.

You need lots of time to check the site every so often, the knowledge of what exactly you are looking for and by seeing enough of them on the site for condition, mileage, age & price you can make a good decision when it's time but need to have the patience to look for just the right one and not jump on a bad one, but most of all you need to have the cash on hand so when you find the right deal you can move on it ASAP or lose it. Like others have said people are going to try and get all they can out of their stuff no matter what they are selling. So spend some time, gain some knowledge, have patience and have your cash ready to move when it's time. And if this is your first sled, do not buy a beat up Hot sled on this site because most of them are just that. Beat up! frown Sorry for sounding like a Dad. But I am one! grin

I am somewhat of a "c list" junkie. I have noticed that in an area (like Minnesota) where the seasons are so extreme that prices really fluctuate through out the year. Many people need instant gradification and want to use the item as soon as they purchase it. I purchased my current snowmobile that I use almost exclusively for ice fishing last June. I could probably come close to doubling my money with snow on the ground. I purchased my current boat last January. I believe that I saved over 30% on my boat purchase. Its much easier to get a great price on something when the item is stored won't be used for another 4 months. If I know I want to purchase a big ticket seasonal item I try to wait for the off season and will even put a wanted ad to see who bites. But watching year round through on / off season gives a good idea on what the values should be. If I had storage space I would buy snowmobiles all summer and sell them in the winter. Easy money.

It is pretty easy to just reply to the add and offer the guy what you want to pay. I won't go even look at a sled or anything unless I get the price down to a manageable amount then pick it apart a little more once I get to look at it.

I do a lot of buying and selling of Motorcycle parts off of C L and I do the same thing when I am trying to buy a bike to part out. It will save you a lot of time. Another tip is if there has been something that is listed for a long time and/or has no picture. I definately interested in them because the majority of the people looking won't bother if there is no picture. You can really get a good deal on these because people usually don't get any replies and want to get rid of it so they give them away it seems.

Can someone tell me why people on C L try to sell their sleds for wayyy too much?????

I was looking at sno pro's and one will be at $1,700 and have 3,000 miles on it, cracked hood, and nothing done to it at all.. and then there will be one for the exact same price BUT, will have handle bar risers, handguards, black magic upgrades, clutch kit, and perfect seat condition with 1,500 miles on it....

You answered your own question. Sleds that have clutching and other mods done to them are not worth as much as a factory original. Personally I may mod out something on a sled, but would never buy someones modded sled over paying even $500.00+ more for a factory sled with more mileage. If I was looking for a sled, the one the retired guy bought brand new, who wants an upgrade and to go out west now, asking decent retail because he has the orig. sticker is more of what I look for. Not a ton of listed stuff like you said, which spells "who knows" and "who did it" all over it, with "why is it being sold" wrapped in.

Also chances are that sled with 1500 might have more than 1500 miles on on it.