Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Which Locator? Vote NOW!

11 posts in this topic

I'm just starting to get back into fishing
after a long long hiatus. Will be fishing
a medium size inland lake (2400 acres).
Crappie/sunfish, walleye, northern pike.

After bending a few ears and checking a few
catalogs, I think I have it narrowed down to
3 possibles. I've picked these because I don't want entry level units and I don't think
I need the top end either.

1. Eagle Ultra Classic Plus with speed and temp.

2. Lowrance X65 Plus with speed and temp.

3. Bottom Line Tournament 3310

Anybody have any strong feelings either way
about any of these 3 locators? Thanks a lot
guys! Right now, I'm leaning towards the Lowrance X65.

I can say if you do board trolling or shallow water structure casting the BL-3310 is a very handy tool.

The ability to scan 120' in both directions and see down on the same screen is a great search tool. Water temp & speed are handy too.

There were a few bugs in the BL-3300 series but they weeded them out in the 3310.

For locating gamefish on shoreline structure in lakes & rivers, finding baitfish schools on the roam, and for locating suspended fish the BL-3310 will excel.

I have limited experance with the others you mentioned so I can not comment on them with and true conviction.

------------------

Backwater Eddy...><,,>

Backwater Guiding Service
><ED ON THE RED>
backwtr1@fishingminnesota.com
(701)-671-3079

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 03-19-2001).]

I've never used the X65, but I do own the X85 and I am very happy with it.

Lowrance LMS350A....hands down.
Or any Lowrance product depending on your budget.
>"////=<

Im for anything lowrance, Ive got the 350 and have heard nothing but good about the x85, more pixles more fish to watch

X65 with speed/temp, does the job for me.

I would consider the Garmin 240 also.
Both are great units.

Skeets

Buy the unit with the most vertical pixels you can afford. more power is good but you really dont need 3000 watts in most minnesota lakes. I have been running a lowrance x 85 since they came out and have been very happy with it. I have been in boats with the x 75 and that performed just as good. I've been eyeballing the new x 15 but its a little to pricey for me right now. I can't comment on the new zercom or vexilar edge lcrs but both look like a winner with the improved scroll speed. Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

The Lowrance X-65 without the flasher simulation screen is the Eagle ultra classic. They both run on similar program formats, same pixel counts, same power, Eagle just less money.
Havent played with the bottom line units on the water, so no input on them.
Biggest thing to consider is how much detail you want to see on the screen. The more detail the higher pixel count you need. The price of a Lowrance X-65 (160 vp) is equal to an Eagle Accura 240 (240 vp).

Rob

I'm going onto my 3rd summer with my X - 85 and so far I have been very happy with it. If your not planning on fishing deep water like for lake trout, you could use the X - 75 or X - 65.
Paul

Hey TOM,I would definatly go with the Lowrance,but I wouldn't hesitate to bump up to the X-75.You'll never regret it.Good Luck!