• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

suspending baits...

fishcast

I have this question for a few reasons. I ask it here, because one reason is that I am wanting to add weight to a weighted suick to make is suspend. So i will see if you muskie guys know....

When the water is cooler and more dense versus warmer and less dense, how will this effect the rise of a bait????

I would guess that the cooler more dense water would slow the rise of a bait, meaning that a little less weight would be needed for a bait used in cold water....

If I remember correctly my husky jerk-baits I use in the fall cool water, tend to rise more quickly in the summer.....

water temp won't make any difference.

use the same weight in warm and cold water, goal is a slow rise so the bait backs up on the pause like it's supposed to, a true suspender/neutrally buoyant suick won't work well, at least not the way it's supposed to.

The closer water is to 38 degrees the faster the bait will rise. Will you be able to tell; no. The density difference is too small to make any noticeable difference. I'd like to know what a suick would do if neutrally buoyant, maybe I'll try it too. Worst case you would have to remove the weight and fill the holes with epoxy.

I have 14 Wades not 1 rises at the same rate as another, some rise fast a couple I can get to rise at only about 1" per second, these seem to get eaten more than others, then again I throw those the most. I have several DDD's to same case, my best is an original prototype that just hangs neutral when paused, it's ugly and beat up but catches and moves more fish than the rest ( see fish in avitar to the left). Some baits you can regulate the rise by line tension, slowly keep the bait moving at a crawl will keep some hanging a bit longer. My Wades I let rise 10-15' from the boat, if they follow in thats where they will eat it since they aren't a great 8 bait. Can't help on a Suick, don't own any.