• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting Bear in Corn Field

Neiko

My neighbor has a bear wrecking his corn and I have never hunted them in corn. The woods butts upto the back side of the field where the damage is. Should I put a bait site back in the woods, Hunt on the edge with a view of the whole backside with no bait? I plan on putting the trail camera out tonight to see if I can get a time he is coming in.

I would try to see where he is entering the field and put a bait pile on the edge of the woods where he is entering so you can see both the field opening and your bait pile in the woods where he may feel a little safer.

boy for fun, never hunted bear in corn before, I would be out right now scouting around the corn seeing where he is enterin from, he should have a good trail matted down from exiting the woods to the corn. i would put some dog food in a back pack an an spread it around in the openning between the corn an the woods to get him to stop an set up down wind of that at a comfortable shot an a good view of the back side, break off a corn stock at about waist hight to get a good reference to how big it might be. Good luck let us know how it gose. Boar

The woodline is too young for a good tree stand in the thick stuff. I might have to go in 20 yards. I can see bear trails. The guy has a fence line/trail that is wide enough for a tractor about 40 yards into the woods and then it is the neighbors land that goes uphill. Neighbors is taller trees with good canopy but lite underbrush. I was thinking of setting up on the edge of the thick stuff and face the hill hoping to see him coming.

We've shot a lot of bears in corn, sunflower, and oat fields. We've done it the same every time.... sit on the treeline looking down the chute between the corn and the trees. Wait for him to slide out, and pull the trigger. No need to bait, he's got all of the food he could ever want already.