• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Biggest One I've Ever Seen

waterbound

Earlier today I was out in eastern Washington County fishing a small stream and I had a little luck. I caught two browns and a third trout that was either a brook or possibly a tiger...I'll put pics up later. After walking upstream quite some distance I came across a waterfall that had a fair sized pool under it. I was only fishing for small trout with my ultralight rod but I thought I might as well toss a spinner in the pool to see if anything would eat. A couple trout about 8-12 inches showed when I started my retrieve and then I saw a trout come shooting out from under the waterfall that was well over 30 inches (I think...it didn't stick around long). I threw a few more spinners and tried crawlers but nothing wanted to come back out of that hole. I'm pretty sure that the big trout is still there because the water downstream of the pool was fairly shallow and I think the water above the falls was pretty shallow. The stream is very clear and there are not a lot of holes for the trout to hide from predators in, but I'm convinced that there are more big fish to be found. If anybody wants to go down there sometime to try catching a great big...brown or rainbow or who knows just let me know, I'd love to see one of these beauties landed before the season's over.

I was thinking it was possibly a tiger because I haven't seen such a silver/olive colored brook trout before. Thanks for the help in figuring out what it was. And don't worry, the only people that are going to know where this was are the people that might be able to help me catch a great big fish laugh

I wonder if possibly the brookie was colored like that because of the clear water, it is possible to see the bottom even in some of the deeper holes. Len, what would you suggest using to try to catch the large trout? I'm assuming that most of the forage was smaller trout, as I had seen them in the same pool and I don't think the water was deep enough for the big one to move downstream. It took me about an hour walking briskly to get back to my car from here so I don't really want to bring a lot of tackle if that would be possible...

It looks like a tiger to me, especially the net photo. Len is the only person I know that catches a number of tigers and if he says it is a tiger, then it probably is. Congratulations! It is a rare catch. I have yet to catch one and I've been trout fishing for 15 years.

Sure it was not a sucker? I've caught a number of 20"+ suckers this summer too. I'd fish that hole with a crawler and spinner one hour before/after sunrise/sunset. That would be 5:30-7:30 am and 6:50-8:50 pm. I'd come from the side versus wading up the center. With a plunge pool like that could be deeper than you think. You have until Sept 30 to catch that fish. Have at it!!!

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a sucker, it seemed like it was drawn out of hiding by the trout following my spinner...seems like an awfully predatory move for a sucker. I want to try fishing it before sunrise but that would mean waking up by 3 in the morning, driving an hour across the cities and walking a little over a mile in the stream to the pool, which means crawling under bridges, barbed wire and a supposedly "haunted" road...so I'm thinking Thursday is gonna be the day I give it a try. wink

I'm going to try some spinners and worms...if that won't work I think I'll try X-Raps and maybe a Rat'L'Trap

From my experience, trophy trout rarely bite during the day. It is one hour before/after sunrise/sunset rule. Keep in mind sunrise is late now - 6:30. You don't need a flashlight by 5:30. I'd be at that hole by 5:15 to set up shop.

Assume weeds are so overgrown and there is no clear trail that follows the river? Maybe identify landowners using GIS map for Washington County and ask permission? Assuming there is a trail you could get there faster than wading.

I'd start with a tiny split (just enough weight to get it there) and a fat stout crawler. Try that first. If he does not hit then try the raps and the spinners once there is enough light out for the fish to see. If you are going to make a day of it I bet a hopper tossed close to the bank might get is attention. If you are not fly fishing try some live hoppers. Two on a hook are irresistible, or so I am told.

Good luck to you and please report back!

I agree with Len here. What you've got is a light colored brookie and not a tiger. I used to live in Colorado and would catch the light colored brookies in the late summer up in the high mountain lakes. Females have a tendency to have this color (or lack of) more than the males. Note the reddish spots surrounded by the blue-ish purple halos. That's a brookie.

As for hooking a trophy, like Scudly said, fish them either in the dark or near sun up/down.

I'm fairly sure all of the property surrounding the stream is private and there are lots of signs warning against trespassing so I doubt any landowners would let someone walk on their property. I might have to catch some grasshoppers and try them then. I was also considering dead bait or maybe a crayfish...

So the land is posted. Did you jot down the info? Just because land is posted doesn't mean the landowner will not let you on. Call ahead, do not show up at his door 7am. Explain your intensions. Ask if the owner has any rules. Offer to pick up trash

If you park at a bridge and legally enter water and keep your feet wet on posted land there is a better chance the landowner will call the sherrif on you

and try to get you ticketed for trespassing. Most landowners are reasonable and appreciate a call versus the "stick it to the man, I know my rights" attitude. However thi time of year keep in mind some are getting ready for hunting and do not want visitors spooking the deer so you might get turned down. My advice is always call. I don't fish posted land period unless I have permission

Waterbound - if you’re looking for a trout fishing partner, I'd be happy to meet up with you some time. I live in eastern Washington County (Stillwater to be exact) and I get out trout fishing quite a bit. Well, I guess this year I haven’t really been out as much because I’ve been having good luck on the St Croix, but I would love to get out the trout gear again and get out before the season is done. I usually have to go solo since I can never convince my friends to wake up at 5 AM so it's always good to make new fishing buddies! Send me a personal message if you’re interested.

Johndstringer at gmail.com

ok so im new to this forum and going through some of the old posts. i find it strange that you think that the silverish colored brookie is not common. maybe its just the streams i fish in winona co. of s.e.mn. but the majority of the brookies i catch (except in the later part of the season) are all the silvery color.