• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Power Steering Flush?

1998 GMC K1500 Suburban, 175,000 miles, owned it since new. Has been a fairly reliable vehicle, and I try to keep it well maintained but I don't want to throw money away either. I dropped it off for an oil change and tire rotation (had a coupon for $19.95) and they tell me that the power steering needs to be flushed. I told them no. It has never been done, and I don't know if the owners manual recommends changing the fluid since I lost the owners manual. (another story)

They also say that the plug wires, cap, and rotor should be replaced since they are original. (I did replace the plugs at 100k) They want $475 for that. I'm thinking that I'll just wait until I have some evidence that those items need replacing, like rough running in damp weather, etc.

Am I being overly cheap? Or are these guys luring me in with the coupon and trying to rack up some work?

I agree with the aspect of changing the wires, cap and rotor. If you had already replace the plugs. As far as power steering being flushed in my time as a mechanic we never really did it because it was such a minor detail. I know some shops offer all that stuff but thats not really a big deal. Just change the cap, rotor, and wires yourself it won't cost much more than $70 and it's fairly easy to do. Just my 2 cents

I recommend doing all of it. The tune up stuff as said is fairly easy, but time consuming and you can save money and do it yourself. The p/s flush will be messy if you do it, but it is easy to do if you want to save the money.

You can as everyone has said do it yourself. I have never "flushed" a p/s system, the only time we serviced them is when replacing the pump or a hose. On the older fire trucks, they had a filter in them however they also used motor oil for the p/s system. I would not do it unless you have a leak, then fix the leak and add new fluid.

The tune up stuff is pretty straight forward, just make sure you remember the order the wires come off and make sure you tie them or clip them into the wire holders. I just did my hemi (16) plugs, 4 of which are the hardest things in the world to access because of the brake booster. However if you do not have engine issues, changing the cap and rotor might be all you need to do. If you do pull the wires, make sure to put some dielectric grease back in the boots. Good luck.

If it were me, I'd drain and refill the power steering system with new fluid. When you do a flush most p/s machines only get out the fluid in the resoivor. Disconnect the pressure line from the pump and let it drain for a while. If you want you could have someone start it for a few seconds, but you will have to work the air out of the system after that.

The power steering can be a simple do-it-yourself, inexpensive flush. The easy way, get a "turkey baster", suck out all the fluid you can from the reservoir, fill with fresh, drive around several blocks to circulate thoroughly. Repeat a second or at most a third time and you are done. Very little mess, easy, and not very expensive. It will take 2 or 3 bottles of power steering fluid. (Most cars and trucks do NOT use ATF anymore, and haven't for quite a few years, most power steering fluids are synthetic now.)

For the best, use AMSOIL Power Steering Fluid.

We solve many P/S issues with a simple flush!

(Most cars and trucks do NOT use ATF anymore, and haven't for quite a few years, most power steering fluids are synthetic now.)

I think GM is the only one using "power steering fluid" everybody else is using some form of "trans fluid" (Honda has there own "special" fluid) or the Europeans are using the green CHF mineral oil stuff.

I defenitely believe in flushing your power steering if you care about your car/truck. Just like any other petroleum fluid in your vehicle it breaks down over time. $70 for a flush and maintain your power steering pump and make sure no seals go bad, or a bigger $$ repair down the road. When the fluid goes bad your seals dry up and start to crack. Not to mention the lubrication properties of the fluid break down and that harms the pump. I dont know how much a power steering pump is but ask AirJer they are not cheap. Maybe I am a little biased, because we over theese services at my work, but they DO work and will defenetly extend the life of your power steering system. As far as trans. fluid for the lubricant, almost all Ford and Chrysler products use ATF in the PS systems. Mercon V in Ford and ATF+4 in mopars.