• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dawn on Fish Hook

Not a photographer by any means, but have been putting in work on my p & s coolpix- here are some good ones from pre-fishing morn last week

3726840214_2775c1f117.jpg

3726840090_bfb6703879.jpg

3726032797_62a7a64796.jpg

3726837804_0aabe72df2.jpg

3726032571_5575a9d566.jpg

Sorry so many, would like to hear what you pros find the most interesting/ better composed

I am not a pro but first thing would be to loose the date stamp. The sky-clouds and the reflections on the water are cool with some real nice colors. The boat and docks dont do so much for me. My first thought on 4 is, that looks like an odd spot for a mail box, drawing from the sunrise. I like how the clouds run straight over head all the way to the other end of the lake in #1.

Looks like it was a nice day to get out early.

This third does it for me. No hand-of-man elements, and I like the shadowed bulrushes and tree as foreground elements. I'm with Birdson on the lighting. I think the shadows add to the image. If you wanted to increase brightness in the shadows without altering the sunrise colors, you'd have to use an actual post-processing program like Photoshop Elements or the like to do that specifically.

Thanks for sharing these. Very cool sunrise on a good fishing day. smile

Nothing you can do about the lighting, the camera is just plain not capable of capturing that large of a dynamic range. If you know what HDR is you could make it work but silhouette's and sunsets go together! You have some beautiful shots here.

Since you asked I will give you some thoughts that come to mind. Composition wise the first shot is nice. In the second I don't really care for the dock detracting from the beautiful skies. The third is nice but I think I would crop the trees on the left out. The fourth is a bit busy for my taste. The fifth is a nice shot. Almost all of you shots have the horizon cutting your picture in half. There is a composition guide the talks about the rule of thirds, a sunset/sunrise shot is a great place to use that. Another words since the sky is what you are mainly interested in, make 2/3rd's of your photo sky! That helps offset the silhouettes at the bottom of the shot. This often times will give you a more pleasing, balanced shot.

Thanks for showing us a beautiful morning!

Some good advice here already and I don't have anything new to add other than sunsets seem to be some of the most difficult shots for me to expose correctly. As Dan mentioned, HDR or some other type of blending can make some things happen, but even with those tools I always seem to over expose the sky and hardly ever get any detail in the shoreline.