• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leader question

Single strand will pretty much get you through anything. I know the floro fans won't like that too much, but you're already sorry so you might as well be safe next time.

Sorry to hear you lost your big fish and the bait, I know the feeling.

American fishing wire, ball bearing swivel, stay-loc snap makes a strong, cheap leader.

Single strand will pretty much get you through anything. I know the floro fans won't like that too much, but you're already sorry so you might as well be safe next time.

Sorry to hear you lost your big fish and the bait, I know the feeling.

American fishing wire, ball bearing swivel, stay-loc snap makes a strong, cheap leader.

So everyone pretty much agree with 50inch ?? Should I have not been using those 120-140 lb mono leaders?

I never use mono for a leader, fluorocarbon or wire only and a minimum of 130# in fluoro, I really like the stealth leaders. Doesn't hurt that I stumbled into a box of them for super super cheap, but they have been awesome.

Yep, that's the point of fluoro, it basically disappears in the water, except it's REALLY tough and abrasion resistant. However, you can still cut it with a knife...or perhaps an esox tooth!

It can happen, sucks. I'd make sure it's not mono. If it's fluoro, it's one of the few times i've heard of it happening, maybe other's have heard more.

I'm about 100% sure it was floro, and if I remember correctly it was 150lb. Cause it didn't make too much sense to me to have 100lb line and only 120 leader.

Yah talk about getting emotional from that...had it at the boat 6-7 times, just couldnt get her close enough to net. Easily biggest musky I've seen in the water. And sad to say now (more so bad news for my gf) I wanna get back out there more than ever! haha

Thanks for the input Jredig and 50. I appreciate it

Any idea if the fish threw the lure? I'd keep checking that area to see if she's found struggling, hopefully it doesn't kill her. I hate seeing spots/names posted, but if it's a big lake, might be worth letting people know to keep an eye out. Better luck next time.

BTW, don't beat yourself up over it. Yeah I'd go back and check out the area like J said, but any musky guy that tells you he's never broken off or dropped or mistreated a fish somewhere along the line is a liar. Live and learn.

I'll always remember the 2nd or 3rd fish I ever hooked swimming away with my Tallywacker stuck in the corner of her mouth after my K-Mart crimped leader broke at the boat. Never bought another leader again.

I've been 100% homemade single strand since last year and doubt I'll ever change. I just don't see how any benefits, if there are any, of fluoro outweigh the potential for a lost fish with a lure in its mouth.

I didnt see her throw it at all, there was another boat that sat right on where I hooked up castin for prob 40 min after that, they were there and saw the whole thing too. Nice guy gave me a leader too! Yah I couldnt stop thinkin about it all night hopin she'll be ok.

Hey Hop,

Make a trip up to Thorne Bros in Fridley. For about $20 you'll walk out with 4-5 quality leaders that'll meet your needs. I like the fluoro for most applications, while others like the wire or a mix of both, situation dictating. I stress the word quality, as often the easiest place to save a nickel is in the components. If you're not making your own, this is a great option.

Probaly be a good idea to pick up a few next time, they take a lot of wear and tear and the snaps and the loops in the fluoro can show wear after time......

I check mine every time I take the rod out of the sleeve, and retie a LOT too..... Good preventative steps for next time ya get hooked up on a big girl.

Sounds good Cjac, actually I think I have a lure there waiting for me, from one of the weekly winner deals...I won in the winter I think, and I haven't made my way up since I loaded up last fall there, bought a new 7000 and "handfull" of lures, line, leader.

I'm pretty good I think for always checkin my leader for any knicks, retying knots and what not...just one of those times the fish got the best of me! What do ya do right, BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME!