• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Amsoil saber outboard

herefish101

I've run Amsoil Saber Outboard 100:1 premix in my '77 Jonny for about the last 8 years now and that motor keeps getting better everytime!! It's a 35 hp on a 24' pontoon and it ROCKS!! That little motor is pushing some serious weight but it never hesitates and best of all there's no blue cloud and a bunch of stink behind the pontoon. If you're not comfortable with the 100:1, run it at 80:1, You'll find it works so well that it won't be long you'll be using it at 100:1 and it's only BETTER!! I also use Amsoil professional in all my 2 stroke air cooled,(chain saw, string trimmer, Ice auger and my mower at the lake) all at 100:1,You WON'T regret switching, and you won't go back!! Phred52

I have been running it @ about 80:1 premixed in a 115 merc. Like you I just cant bring myself to run it at 100.

Although I am not sure why I worry about it, after all I run Saber in my auger at 100:1 and that is rated for 24:1 or 32:1 so why worry right?

Boilerguy, Your 70, Are you running 6 gallon fuel tank or does your boat have a built in? I also have a 70 Jonny, with VRO, that's fed from a built in fuel tank that I want to switch over to Amsoil. I'm wondering how the VRO pump would adjust to the synthetic. It's my last motor I have to convert to Amsoil. Phred52

When I rebuilt my powerhead a few years back I disconnected the oil portion of the VRO and pre-mix my gas in 6 gallon tanks. The VRO pump is still pumpin the fuel, however, and it's happier than a fly on fresh doggie doo pumping the pre-mix fuel/Amsoil.

As far as how the VRO would work with a synthetic.....I can't answer that as I have no clue.

Surface Tension, I hate to hijack this thread, so I'll try to keep it brief. By switching to Amsoil in the VRO system, I'd be running oil through the system in ratios that are just wasting oil? Or does the Amsoil contain a 'filler' that leans out the oil/ gas ratio? Phred52

I believe dumping Amsoil in your oil tank will not hurt anything. Like ST said, the VRO pump doesn't know what type of oil you're using and will pump it at the same rate as if it were conventional oil.

Having said that, your mixtures will be what the VRO pump delivers. Amsoil or conventional oil, the mixtures will be the same. So, in a way, you will be "Wasting oil." However, running at the 100:1 and even the 50:1 I'm almost positive you'll see WAY better performance.

If your Johnny is anything like mine was, it was a cold blooded dude that didn't like to start, once started it ran good. After switching over to Amsoil the cold start problem pretty much disappeared. More power at WOT also.

Since the VRO pump is calibrated for oil of a specific dilution/ratio (50:1?), wouldn't you'd be using 2X more oil than necessary if you put 100:1 oil in the VRO oil pump tank?

For example, if the VRO pump does 150:1 at idle using 50:1 oil, wouldn't that effectively be 75:1, thus twice as much, if it was pumping 100:1 oil?

Thaks to the people who actually awnsered my question, I finally used this stuff and my old motor has never run that good, very little smoke, much better throttle response. what a great product. i'll be recomending this stuff to anyone who mixes there oil. thanks for the response.