• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel recommendation for kids?

h8go4s

Question

I have twin 10-year old granddaughters and want to get them started fishing. I'm looking at spincast and underspin outfits. Both girls are pretty "girly", not the most athletic or coordinated, but want to go fishing with me, since that's my primary hobby. I'm planning to keep it simple, with rods about 5'6", and mostly bobber fish for panfish. I'm not interested in the cartoon character rigs, I want something reliable and durable. I'm intrigued with the underspin reels, but not sure if that's the best way to go for kids. Any suggestions or opinions?

8 answers to this question

I have a seven year old daughter and her first rod was a barbie spin cast. Last summer it was time for her to step up to a new rod I decided to get her a regular spinning setup because she never really got the hang of pushing the button. After just a short time of practice with the spinning reel she was way better at casting than she ever was with the spincaster. And now if she ever needs to she can use one of my rods with out any problems.

Lot's of good options out there but whatever you decide on make sure they are good, quality reels. Nothing will turn off a youngster faster than having equipment that will not work for them.

I like the push button reels for little kids and the Zebco 33 is certainly a good choice. 10 years old however seams to me old enough to try a regular spinning reel. The big secret with bobber fishing is not the reel, it's the terminal tackle. Little kids just can't deal with a big space between the bobber and the hook so use a slip bobber. What you want is a weighted slip bobber (the one with the little lead ring just below the buldge) because it puts more weight on the end of the line for casting without needing big sinkers which in turn mean bigger bobbers.

I also like to use a jig rather than just a hook because the fish don't swallow it as badly and it gives kids something to get a hold of to get it out. You might also think about having a glove handy to avoid fin sticks. My daughters came up with that one on there own.

I would agree with all that has been said. I remember learning to fish with the old Zebco Spin cast with a bobber and worm.

if they havent been fishing before I would agree with the spin cast reel. once they get that down then you can have them try a spinning reel.

I started using a spinning outfit ($20 bait shop combo with my own money) at about 11-12 years old.

I started out with a Zebco as a kid and decided to go straight to a spinning reel with my boys.

The problem I see with the closed system is that kids will not pay attention to what is reeled into the reel be it a spinning reel or a spin cast reel. Kids simply will not stop turning that handle until the reel locks up. That said would you rather remove a birds nest from a open spool or disassemble a Zebco and try to get your fingers into a 1/8th inch area to untangle a line ? Removing tangled line from a Zebco is extremely frustrating and time consuming compared to a spinning reel.

If you get frustrated by the mess your kids created your kids will sense it and may not have a good time on the lake.

Push button casting is nice for young kids give but if you give them twenty minutes practice at home with a spinning reel they will have it figured out.