• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spawning Lamprey

I took a walk down a local river today and came across these Lamprey in spawning mode. They were located directly below a bridge, so I had a great overhead shot at them. The biggest one was about 20" long and about 2 1/2" thick behind the head. Sadly, I didn't have a polarizer with me though. I might go back in the next day or two with a polarizer, and a pitchfork.

spawn1.jpg

spawn2.jpg

spawn3.jpg

spawn4.jpg

spawn5.jpg

spawn6.jpg

spawn7.jpg

That's really neat. I had no idea they spawned up that shallow. You'd think that would be a potential way to try and control their population. They seem that they'd be very vulnerable to netting, trapping or something.

There have been successful attempts to knock down the population the way you suggest. Expensive, though.

Well, I went back today with a polarizing filter and the Lamprey weren't there. I also did some research and found out that our Dept. of Oceans and Fisheries, which is responsible for Lamprey control, will be treating this river in August. I'm not sure if that's because August is the best month for treatment, or just because that's when they'll get around to treating this river. I'm sure that they're very busy with all of the Great Lake tribs in Canada. Either way, on both sides of the border, they've been doing a great job of controlling these hideous creatures.

A shot from last summer. This guy was attached to a Lake Trout that I caught. He seems to be smiling in the photo, but I got the last laugh...

Lamprey1.jpg

If they're not sea lampreys (which I am pretty sure they're not), they are native lamprey species. As nasty as they are, they are native, and the government is only trying to control the invasive sea lampreys.

I totally agree! They look like "chestnut lamprey" to me as well! If they are, they are an important part of the "natural" ecology!

Originally Posted By: Ralph Wiggum
If they're not sea lampreys (which I am pretty sure they're not), they are native lamprey species. As nasty as they are, they are native, and the government is only trying to control the invasive sea lampreys.

I totally agree! They look like "chestnut lamprey" to me as well! If they are, they are an important part of the "natural" ecology!

I'm certainly not a Lamprey expert, so I did some research on the "Chestnut". Several search engines yielded results mostly from States such as Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Texas and Alabama. Maximum size from the search results ranged from 8 to 15 inches.