• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern Pike anyone?

Our group is looking to go to northern Wisconsin and we are looking for Perch, Walleye and Northern Pike. Yes, Northern Pike. I know a lot of people don't like them, but we cannot get enough of them.

Everwhere we see is about Muskies. We have been going to Northern Minnesota and Canada for the last 8-10 years, but we are looking for closer to Chicago and were hoping somebody here could give us a couple ideas for Lakes/Resorts.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ed

Ed,

My girlfriend's husband is from northern WI and is now a guide in Ely/BWCA. I just told him about your question because I was curious myself. His response was that it would be a big mistake to fish that area. He stated that MN fishing is much better because WI is over-fished & generally the fishing is not as good. Others may disagree...this is just the opinion of someone who grew up living in & fishing northern WI and now made a life guiding others in northern MN.

Good luck!

I love norhthern Minnesota. But round trip it is 5-6 more hours of driving (and gas money), and all the resorts and boat rentals up there for 8 guys ends up being $3,000 for just the cabin and boat. I too believe that Wisconsin is overfished, but at least we can still get away. 3 years ago, we started going to Lake Kabetogama. It was $1400 for the cottage. This year, had we gone, it would've cost $2,000 for the same cottage. Then it is $795 for a 17ft alumacraft with a 60hp alumacraft (it is a nice boat, but come on.

So we are going to keep investigating the Wisconsin area and even the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

I appreciate the response though.

Most of the bigger lakes will give you decent action with a shot at big fish, but you won't find a lake in the area that will consistently turn out big pike, as they are generally managed for muskie to be the big fish in the lake. The Big Chip might be an option, as I've heard a number of muskie guys complain about the numbers of pike in there.

I believe Namekagon is another lake mostly targeted for muskies but has a lot of northerns caught. There aren't any real standout lakes for northerns that I am aware of - I'm sure you'll get some good recommendations here though.

I believe Namekagon is another lake mostly targeted for muskies but has a lot of northerns caught. There aren't any real standout lakes for northerns that I am aware of - I'm sure you'll get some good recommendations here though.

Yep, throw a 9" Suick and you'll catch all the 20" pike you could ever want...

Fellas...I believe "iwishinifishin" is a lady.

Living in Northern WI, I must agree that most lakes are managed for Musky. Northerns and Musky usually won't share a body of water for too long. Especially when the DNR tips the scales in the Muskies favor.

I would go with the namekagon or eauclaire lakes area or hayward area.

I have caught some big pike in the St. Louis River

Using bucktails and trying to catch some Musky have brought forth some very big pike out of the river.

I would recommend the river for some pike in the larger sized