• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

CSI Minnesota: Here's a brain twister

BassProAddict

Quote:
Prior to trying all the braids I used Trilene XT and really had no issues. Since my frustration with braids I have gone back to Trilene XT and have had no issues since.

Just like fishing with a bungie cord. Now there I can see that great big wind up of a hook set that is so synonymous with the Bass fisherman. If you fish alot remember to change line weekly! Or daily!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing wrong with the stretch of Mono (in most cases) I use Mono on all my spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, sometimes on jigs, and t rigs, the only time I use braids is around thick cover.

You get less bent hooks, more forgiving during the fight, and less ripped out hooks. just my opinion

Quote:
You get less bent hooks,

On fish less then 10lbs, how is it posable to bend a hook? Hook set? That is a CSI Brain twister I'd like to find out about. 5/0 Aberdeen hooks? You've got me here!

I'm sorry but I just have to know. What kind of hook? How many fellow fisherman have you impaled? KOed or knocked over board? Do you send bottle rockits into the air after each hook set or do you go with the standard Tarazan yell? In other words, what do you do to burn off all the excess adrenalin after you land the fish? Next, What kind of line do you use that stands up to a hook set that will bend a hook? Last, Are you sure it was a fish????

Regular gammy wide gap. Nobody injured yet. I have yet to do it on a loger cast, but you get a short flip in shallow water and it can happen. Have made sure to use only flippin hooks since. Line was either 25# fluoro or braid. But, like I said, hasn't happened since I went to flippin hooks.

I'm sorry but I just have to know. What kind of hook? How many fellow fisherman have you impaled? KOed or knocked over board? Do you send bottle rockits into the air after each hook set or do you go with the standard Tarazan yell? In other words, what do you do to burn off all the excess adrenalin after you land the fish? Next, What kind of line do you use that stands up to a hook set that will bend a hook? Last, Are you sure it was a fish????

Straightening a hook is not that hard, just did it this weekend on a 2lb bass with a regular 3/0 hook and 17lb Fluro, when I tried to use regular straight shank OWners for flipping and braid, happened all the time

I like the big wind up on a hookset, probably my favorite part.

I do not change my line very often nor does it break other than on northerns, I fish a lot. If you need to change your mono so often perhaps you are in too many trees or landing on too many docks!!

I haven't used Mono in years. I take that back, I only use mono when fishing the river and there is alot of Cottonwood seeds on the water. That stuff just clings to braided line.

No I'm just " " what I have read about "Pro Bass fisermen" and how they spend there evenings while fishing tournaments. It seems most of them spend there time getting ready by changeing the mono on reel that they had used that day.

Quote:
I fish a lot.

Me too! I've been fishing from the age of 10. I'm 52 now. The only time I have ever bent a hook is either taking the hook out of a fish or when I grab the line with my hands and pull. In 42 year of fishing that is the only way I have ever straitened a hook.

Wow I just have to go up to " TONKA " and see some of these hook sets for myself. They must be legendary.

By the way. Is there a special hand shake or something I need to know to fish Tonka.

For what it's worth, yes, I too have "straightened" out a hook especially Gamakatsu EWGs.I've never seen why but I'd just get surprised that my "hook for the day" often gets bent out after a few hours. Odd, I know.

I have since switched to straight offset hooks.