Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
troutkingmaster

Dog Training Permit from DNR

8 posts in this topic

I read the DNR regs and found where it says that individuals may obtain permits to train dogs using live ammunition and "banded" domesticated birds but did not see any more information than that. Does anyone have any insight as to where/how to get a permit and how much of a pain it is?

Go to the DNR HSOforum and type in dog training in the search line. You will get a link to the document you need. You fill out the form and mail it in to the address provided to get it signed off by the DNR. You'll have it back in 7-10 days, well, that's how long it too before I got mine.

Thanks for the info. And with that permit, you could train with game farm birds on public land (WMAs) as long as it was after July 14th correct?

I don't believe you can train them on public land. I got several different answers depending upon whom I spoke with. I would recommend calling a Conservation Officer, CO, about this? I used it for private land. This subject has been on this forum a few times. I didn't like how it was worded in the Regulation. I'd call and ask a CO to be sure.

I'm pretty sure that those permits are for one specific location. You can't just have a general permit to shoot on anyone's land.

MNMongo is correct, or at least that is the way it was the last time I got a permit.

It is really painless, but you do have to designate where you will be training.

Good luck.

The fish in my profile? It was a 50.5 Muskie last August guided by Luke Ronnestrand. Luke had a 51 about an hour earlier and the other guy with us had a fish in the upper 40's low 50's hooked up but lost it boat side. It would have been "possibly" three 50" fish in 3 hours. That was a great day on the water.