• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pflueger Trion question

Quagmire*

Question

I am looking at purchasing a Pflueger Trion combo with a 6 foot medium action rod and 6 ball bearing reel for 60 bucks. Anyone on here ever used this combo? I fish mainly for Walleyes, lindy rigging and jigging. Just wondering if this would be a good combo for me, or if I should get one with a 6.5 or 7 foot rod, anyone have any suggestions?

6 answers to this question

Check out the Tournament 10 bearing GST-30 or GST-35 reels at Gander Mountain once, Pflueger makes them for Gander, very nice reels.

An GM Tournament IM8 or an Ultimate Titanium rod, also from Gander, in 6'6" med to 7' med/hvy may be a option to look at too.

i have a 2 trion baicasters, and an asaro spinning combo and a president combo and like them. They are good quality reels for the money. you will be happy with it. 6' rod for jigging, if you're going to cast go longer.

Quagmire,

I assume you're talking about a spinning combo--not a baitcast combo.

Shorter rods are a bit more comfortable for vertical presentations, but also consider these factors:

longer rods (say, 6.5 and 7ft) allow longer casts and more hook setting power at distances. This would be important if you do a lot of shore fishing, or if you're using tactics that require a stealthy approach and long casts. If you fish from bigger boats, a longer rod gets your bait out/away from the side of the boat, and gives you more options for comfortable sitting positions that still let you effectively present your offering. If you're a taller person, longer rods feel a bit more natural.

IMHO, a 6.5ft rod is as short as I'd choose for a versatile tool. Trions are a strong value in spinning and casting. I've had both for years, and my guests, neices, nephews, and brothers have been unable to break them. They're no longer my primary reels--but they were for a couple of seasons.