• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First timer wants to take son deer hunting

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool! Congrats. That's the beauty of FM...lots of great stories from start to end, do it yourself hunts that begin with somebody knowing nothing and end with a successful hunt, trip, or the start of a new hobby...Information is the most valuable commodity a hunter or angler can have.

Thanks for sharing!

FWG just checking in to see how the rest of your season went?

Bear, rest of the season was fun but no more deer. We went up in October and spent most of our time hunting grouse -- they seemed to be around every turn. I did get my 6-year-old out in the blind with me a couple times for couple hour sits. He enjoyed running the doe bleat every 15 minutes to pass the time.

We didn't get out during firearms because a local told me the place got crazy and I'm not a big fan of crowds.

I, myself, never got to draw back on one last year but I'm hoping that changes this year. I did have a 10 and an 8 walk within 10 yards of my stand but I was on a doe only hunt in St. Paul -- still a very exciting experience!

We have 2 cameras out this year so we can each hunt a spot where we know deer frequent. Last year I gave the camera spot to the boy and I just went out and looked for intersecting trails. This year I'm also using trophy rock to hopefully make our spots more memorable to the deer that pass.

Last year I ran into issues with taking kids out of school to hunt -- easy to do once but more difficult to do 4 or 5 times during the season. I'm still trying to figure out how to make that work.

The season is just over 2 months away now...

Sounds like you had a good season overall. If you want to give gun hunting a try some time and don't want to mess with crowds just until mid week and you will have the woods to yourself. Its pretty quiet up there Tues-Fri opening week but you will have to figure out that school problem first.

Sounds like you had a good season overall. If you want to give gun hunting a try some time and don't want to mess with crowds just until mid week and you will have the woods to yourself. Its pretty quiet up there Tues-Fri opening week but you will have to figure out that school problem first.

Once the school calendar comes out, I think I'll see if I can't work that in. I know the 7-year-old would love it!

He loves anything with guns

4784818643_f2584a8263.jpg