• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shore fishing in the jordan/bp area

walleyeslayer18

i am from new prague and have recently been going in jordan off of that big sand bar and just by the thompson ferry access with little success. a couple small channels nothing over 2lbs and two eyes. but other than that it just seems like the small fish mess with my bait.

Are there any other places in that general area that a guy could walk/hike to to possibly get into some channels or maybe even some flatheads. i still have yet to catch one ever!!! Just a place that has potential for better fishing than where im at now.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

my opinion is that the big eddy right at the launch is a better spot then that sandbar.

either that or try the first bend upstream, there is a natural spring that comes in there and will hold some baitfish.

I agree with boat launches in general. They are not the best spot to setup in during the day or night when there are trailers and such in the parking. It has becomes customary now when we pull out of our last spot to leave the live bait on the hook and toss them in the bait well. When we beach at the launch at 2:00-4:00am, first thing when we get out of the boat is to toss our lines back in and let them soak while loading. I have yet to not have at least a run or a tag. My fishing partner and I have picked up 4-5 flats since starting to do this last year. Nothing big at all, but it has saved us from a couple total skunk trips now. wink Nothing beets hearing a clicker run while unloading gear into the truck, strapping down and draining the boat for the long ride home grin

Our normal launch has a snag pile right up stream from it and an eddy coming right off a wing dam. This is just a theory and I know it is not right, but after a full Saturday of tons of anglers coming on and off the water, I have a feeling many dump their minnows out when loading up right at the launch into the river. This might spell dinner bell for anything that wants to feed on these minnows hanging around the launch. Just a theory and you have to have an active launch for it to work out.

I would say 10-15 minutes by the time we hit the ramp, but I can drag that out if we had a skunk trip going grin. If it is raining or I want to, it can go quicker. Organization is quirk of mine grin, plus the long drive home can wait a couple minutes if we get a run.

The ramp we launch out of the most has nice wide slots in the concrete that act like rod holders. Just lift the rod out of the boat and the bully out of the bait well, cast out and plop it in the crack wink I do all the junk right on the ramp so we are with-in feet of the rods.

I would guess it takes us only a minute or two to load up. Throw the back straps on and go home. Everything else is done by the time the trailer hits the water.

Same here.

Fish the productive spots till its time to go.

Flying into the launch, I would not expect fish to be hanging out.

Ok Mr. Flatcaster grin I will even do one better wink

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Like I said, they are small but we have got some while loading at the launch. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, just letting others know how a couple of our almost skunk trips where deskunked.

Like I said above, all we do is after reeling up at our last spot of the night, lay our rods down on the rod locker and put the bully (still on the hook) in our live well. Once we get to the ramp, just toss them out before making the long walk to the truck (the ramp we use is a little bit of hike to get the truck). If you get something, you get something. If you do not, you do not grin If nothing happens when the loading is done, boom we reel up and are gone. If it is nice out and we get a couple runs, we will give it another 10 minutes. I thought it was a waste of time at first, but after almost a hand full caught I give props to KQ for messing around while I was doing all the work loading grin

At this ramp, like I said these slots act like great rod holders. Pull up to the launch, cast out, flip the clicker on, plop in the ramp slot and walk to the truck wink Very simple and some what effective.

Who knows, that could have been a money fish if you or Dtro (I think you guys came in the money that time) had not caught anything that night winklaugh .

Speaking of Moore's, has anyone heard if he is having them again this year? I think it was one year ago this weekend the first one was held?

Speaking of Moore's, has anyone heard if he is having them again this year? I think it was one year ago this weekend the first one was held?

I thought I had read somewhere Bob was doing a P2 walleye contest, probably doesn't help you guys but he's getting them going. wink

Speaking of Bob's... I should pick up some Hair jigs and Ringworms. grin

You can drive up and down that river for miles and have a hard time finding an eddy like the one that is at that launch. And its consistant most of the year. I'm not a big fan of eddies when its high water and they are fast and turbulent but when you can get your bait to sit relatively still in one... game on! And there is rock there too! Bam! Bam! And a spring... triple Bam!

But the thing about this one, its the same old story... too close to the launch, there's no fish here. It gets avoided. You could say the same thing about many of the river launches as well, good structure will be screaming at you to fish it but you just motor by because "its too close to the launch".

I like to save the close to the launch spots for later at night when the river starts to get the super thick fog moving in. That way it is no problem getting back to the launch quickly when we decide to go home.