Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunning

Humminbird hook-up help

6 posts in this topic

This week, I will be installing a depth finder for the first time. I know you can hook it up to the fuse box or run leads to your trolling motor batteries. I have heard its best to hook it up to the fuse box but I don't want to screw up the electrical system for the rest of the boat. I was cleaning out my boat today and took a look at the fuse box and have a few questions.

1. I have a few open spots on the fuse box does it matter which slot I use.

2. There isn't a grounding bar on the fuse box from what I can tell. How should I ground the wire, will anything metal work? There are plenty of screws and metal pieces under the console i could possibly run the ground it to the hull but I would have to cut the carpet to it.

3. If you were me would you just run leads to the trolling motor battery with an in-line fuse. Which way do you prefer to hook-up your electronics.

To the starting battery with a inline fuse. Or a extra battery with just electronics, lights etc.

To the starting battery with a inline fuse. Or a extra battery with just electronics, lights etc.

I agree - the fuse box would work but I think the better way to go is to the battery.

Is there a reason to run it to the starting battery over the trolling motor battery

Is there a reason to run it to the starting battery over the trolling motor battery

Interference on the sonar when running the trolling motor is a common occurance if you connect it to the trolling motor battery...

i've seen one case where the dealer hooked up the fish finder to tm battery and it would turn on and not operate than it would shut off automatically.