Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunning

Humminbird hook-up help

6 posts in this topic

This week, I will be installing a depth finder for the first time. I know you can hook it up to the fuse box or run leads to your trolling motor batteries. I have heard its best to hook it up to the fuse box but I don't want to screw up the electrical system for the rest of the boat. I was cleaning out my boat today and took a look at the fuse box and have a few questions.

1. I have a few open spots on the fuse box does it matter which slot I use.

2. There isn't a grounding bar on the fuse box from what I can tell. How should I ground the wire, will anything metal work? There are plenty of screws and metal pieces under the console i could possibly run the ground it to the hull but I would have to cut the carpet to it.

3. If you were me would you just run leads to the trolling motor battery with an in-line fuse. Which way do you prefer to hook-up your electronics.

To the starting battery with a inline fuse. Or a extra battery with just electronics, lights etc.

To the starting battery with a inline fuse. Or a extra battery with just electronics, lights etc.

I agree - the fuse box would work but I think the better way to go is to the battery.

Is there a reason to run it to the starting battery over the trolling motor battery

Is there a reason to run it to the starting battery over the trolling motor battery

Interference on the sonar when running the trolling motor is a common occurance if you connect it to the trolling motor battery...

i've seen one case where the dealer hooked up the fish finder to tm battery and it would turn on and not operate than it would shut off automatically.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Glad Lavine is gone! Added nothing but slam dunks to the team. I've been out of town for the past week, so I was very delighted to hear about this trade today.
    • Not unless they ban the toothpick crossbow here too. Takes those beetles out clean.   
    • That's called seasoning. Two years ago I took a trip to Germany and we spent a few days in the black forest where I got to see some authentic old world smoke houses dating back to the 1500's and the amount of buildup on the walls, hooks, poles etc is part of what gives their hams,bacon and sausage their flavor. They use juniper wood for smoking. Absolutely delicious.  But yeah, foil, Pam and other things can help. You can also use a power washer to clean them.
    •   "We have found they do not like limburger cheese, hot dogs, or Makers Mark bourbon.  I am thankful for that."   Thanks for making my nite.  
    • Also woodpeckers beat on stuff to mark their territory.   I am pretty sure that there aren't any bugs on my metal downspouts.
    • You will often discover that birds are picking very small insects from decks and other woodwork around your house;  they do the same with trees and any other structure that might hold the bugs. We see them often on our decks and they usually pick a little bit and then move on,  perhaps just checking to see if there is anything edible there. These rascals also love hummingbird or oriole nectar, sunflower seeds and of course suet in winter. We have discovered  many species that will head straight for the nectar for orioles or hummingbirds and also plunge their beaks eagerly into the grape jam bowls orioles love. Birds will eat a greater variety than you might think. We have found they do not like limburger cheese, hot dogs, or Makers Mark bourbon.  I am thankful for that.
    • And pretty soon there'll be little chinese restaurants springing up everywhere...there goes the neighborhood. 
    • I use the ball of aluminum foil, too. Works well.
    • lay them in the grass over night and wipe off in the morning.  the dew soaks in if it's moist out.  other wise lay them out and place wet towels over them for awhile..
  • Our Sponsors