• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It's been a year..........................

since my buddy Jake got hit on the highway. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him, and look for him to come bounding up the yard onto the front deck, just to check in. I have to look at the spot where I picked him up off the road, broken and battered every day, and it still brings a tear to my eye. No new dog, have no desire to get one either. Jake's remains are next to my bed until I decide what I'm doing with them. It amazes me the impact pets have on us. Jake was our first baby. We have since had two "real" babies after that, who grew up with Jake, and even though it took lots of attention away from him, he loved and protected our girls. Maybe someday another dog, but I won't set myself up for another heartache.

MISS YOU BUDDY, IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME HERE WITHOUT YOU!!!

We lost our "Lady" GSP in 1996 when we discovered she was very ill. She was around 12 years old. She came to us by a fluke, someone tied her up in our front yard thinking she was ours. I had the local pound come and get her and we waited 5 days to see if anyone would claim her. They didn't, so I took the hubby over to look at her and after seeing the sad conditions at the pound we took her home. We moved up north here 3 years ago and our neighbor had to get rid of his great dane due to a divorce, despite saying no more dogs we took her. She is older (not quite sure how old) and it will be painful when it is her time, but it is such a joy having her now. "Lola" has blessed our life.

Ryan V, as I read your post I was brought to my best friend's life agian. His name was "Dudly", a GSP that loved to let my wife know that bed time was his and mine-not her's cool. The breed and make up is more like our kid's than a hunting tool or a minnow eater like duders! My first hunt with him was flagged and so was the last. frown. It's the time in the middle that I focus on. You are doing it right though, dont REPLACE him, but instead, find another friend and partner when you are better!! I feel your pain and hope this year is better...

Carmon...

Hi Ryan-

I am sorry for your loss. A person can really get attached to a pet. I get attached to my dogs as well. I have always included our dogs as members of our family. It is tough when you loose one. I lost one of my dogs the same way you lost Jake. It took me a while to get over it too. But, what do you think your "Jake" would want for you now? I bet he would want you to give another lucky dog a good home and for you to be happy.

"Letting go" does not mean forgetting.

There is another dog out there that would really love to be a member of your family.

I have alway taken some time after a loss. But, I have never regretted moving on and finding another buddy either. When the time is right, you will know it. Good luck to you.

I put my springer down 7 years ago. April 16th does not go by when I dont think about him. The heart will heal, it just takes time. I have had a couple of dogs since, a rotty mix that had a fatal attraction to cars, and my current (and final) lab. I like to wait at least a year between the loss of one and getting the next, kind of a "quiet time" I worry that getting a new dog to soon after the loss of the last is just a way of trying to replace the first, thats not fair to the dog.

But Sammy was my first, I loved that dog. I will never forget him and all dogs I have in the future will be judged against him.