Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
theghost_03

Nebraska Merriams

11 posts in this topic

Just got back from a trip to the Santee Reservation in northeast Nebraska chasing some Merriams. Had a awesome trip. Three birds in three days with some buddies. The area itself consists of the Missiouri River valley and alot of bluffs. The birds no doubt see alot of pressure, which was evident by how difficult it was to draw the birds into calling. And the fact that when you saw birds they were running with groups of 5-10 hens didn't help. If you were willing to put in some hiking work and patience, it defienetly pays off. We harvested two nice toms and a jake. The toms weighed in at 16 and 18 lbs w/ 9 and 10" beards, 1" spurs. Overall a awesome trip!!

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

Nice birds, I think I drove past that field a time or two. Seen tons of deer. Thinking of doing a deer hunt this fall in the same area.

Good Job!

Me and two others hunted in NW Nebraska last week. The birds there didn't respond very well to us calling. We saw alot of birds, but went 1 for 3 guys for 3 days. It was are first time there and we ended up learning the land real well. I believe next year we should do alot better. It was a great trip for us as well.

we were in crawford, ne 4/23-4/26

4 birds 3 guys before weather went south

first timers as well

next year texas

Thanks guys! Ya I was thinking the same thing kev, deer were everywhere. We stopped in a gas station in town and saw pics of several 170" deer there. I wonder if the deer hunting there is the same as the turkey hunt? It looked like it could be promising. Nice job in the Crawford area, it was alot of fun hunting out there.

$125 for a tag from the Indians. Archery runs till late november when gun starts. The Warden told us there is not much Archery preasure. Early November would be a perfect time to hunt the rut

We hunted santee the week of 4-21/4-24 and went 6 birds for 3 hunters with 2 true doubles, I think the birds aren't true merrians, more of a hybrid cross with the easterns.

Where can you find info on the Santee turkey hunt? Does not seem to be much on line.

I was wondering also how it works on the Santee Rez. Tags are $125? How do you know where you can hunt? Where did you stay?

We hunted around the Springview, Neb. area from 4-30 to 5-2 on private land. Went four for three with one guy being a Neb. resident. Two nice toms and two jakes. We had to put in our time but there were lots of birds around and plenty of deer and coyotes also. Great place to hunt. Nice birds ghost.

There is no info online that I have found. You can contact the Santee Parks and Wildlife office, I believe that number is on the net somewhere I would just google it. They will tell you more information. Basically the tag costs $50, you can purchase and shoot up to three birds. There is alot of tribal land that is heavily wooded areas with alot of clearings, its a good area. The only problem can be the pressure they see, the birds we dealt with were very hesitant to respond and commit.