• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trinidad ?

HugoBox

He's kind of right, and kind of not. It is best with lures that you are realing straight in. And as a specializaiton reel that would be it's best use.

I have a Saltist which is the same type of reel as a Trinadad without the guide. It takes some time to get used to the reel without the guide and how to use it. I was throwing Dawgs and topwaters as well after awhile. You just need to make sure it is a lure that has some weight on it otherwise the line tries to creep up out of the spool when you are reeling it in.

I tried it with jerkbaits which I wouldn't recommend. It makes the line come in on one side of the reel and the release of tension on the line also makes the line creep out of the spool.

If you're pumping dogs, you can flip your wrist and put the reel on it's side and it'll come in ok.

So Bucktails, topwaters, and dawgs that are reeled in straight it works fine. Anything that keeps tension on the line.

I have a Saltist which is the same type of reel as a Trinadad without the guide. It takes some time to get used to the reel without the guide and how to use it. I was throwing Dawgs and topwaters as well after awhile. You just need to make sure it is a lure that has some weight on it otherwise the line tries to creep up out of the spool when you are reeling it in.

which Saltist are you using? I'm leaning to one of these or the Penn 975.

I picked up a couple of Saltist 20 levelwinds. Sweet reels! The Trinidad is good for any application that puts tension on the line. If there is no tension then the line spools improperly. If you like to straight crank big lipped baits, you could use it for that as well!

30th. I wanted the Trinidad. But found the Saltist which has the same line pick up in a saltwater reel, before last season so bought it because it was half the cost. My fishing partner and I both got one and used them all year and didn't have any problems. Loved it.

Jerry, you should be happy with it. All metal parts in the guts. No plastic (which is my theory on the problems with the Abu's). If money was no object I would buy a Trinadad because I'm a big fan of Shimano. But I'm going to buy another one this year for a second bucktail set up. Can get that and another rod or reel for the price of a Trinidad.

Only thing I've heard negative about them is that it would be good to go to stronger drag washers. But my New Years Resolution last year was to turn down my drags after I was done fishing and I never had a problem.

PostFrontal, does that 30TH have a levelwind? I don't see the info on Daiwa's HSOforum. Where'd you pick it up and how's the overall size compared to a 400TE or similar?

Thanks

JR

No the 30TH doesn't have a levelwind. It would be size wise like the Trinidad 16N. Tall and narrow. Like Jerry said the 30HA is the levelwind. The 40HA is the high speed reel with levelwind with 47 inches per turn. If you go to the Daiwa HSOforum. Click on Saltwater Conventional Reels. You will be able to click on Saltist or Saltist Levelwind to get more information.

I ordered my 30TH through Cabelas last year because noone had them here. I know Thornes has the 30TH now and a couple other ones as well. You might want to call them and see if they have the model you decide on.

Levelwind:

Ultra High Speed

STTLW20HA L 4CRBB, 1RB 6.1 : 1 35.0" 18.50 12/420, 14/350, 20/210 15.4

STTLW30HA ML 4CRBB, 1RB 6.1 : 1 35.0" 19.40 14/490, 20/295, 25/230 15.4

STTLW40HA M 4CRBB, 1RB 6.4 : 1 47.2" 23.10 25/400, 30/270, 40/240 20.0

STTLW50HA MH 4CRBB, 1RB 6.4 : 1 47.2" 24.00 30/350, 40/310, 50/220 20.0

Non-levelwind:

Ultra High Speed

STT20H -/L 2CRBB, 2BB, 1RB 6.1 : 1 36.0" 0 12/420, 14/350, 20/210 15.4

STT30H -/ML 2CRBB, 2BB, 1RB 6.1 : 1 36.0" 0 14/490, 20/295, 25/230 15.4

STT30TH -/ML 2 CRBB, 2 BB, 1 RB 6.4 : 1 47.2" 23.20 20/300, 25/240, 30/200 20.0

STT40H -/M 2 CRBB, 2 BB, 1 RB 6.4 : 1 47.2" 24.30 25/400, 30/270, 40/240 20.0

STT50H -/MH 2 CRBB, 2 BB, 1 RB 6.4 : 1 47.2" 25.00 30/350, 40/310, 50/220 20.0

I'm running a Trinidad 16N and find it's really just a blade reel. You need enough resistance to get the line to lay right on the spool. I don't use it for anything else since I have a few TE's, Curado's and a Luna. It's a specialized reel that does very well for pulling blades.

Okay, what are the pros for having a non-levelwind? If the Saltist has a levelwind version why not get that one verse the non levelwind one? What is the advantage of a non-levelwind reel?

That's a great question.

Daiwa just came out with the levewind model this year so wasn't an option last year. I know they say in saltwater fising for billfish or whatever that when they make their long fast runs it would rip the guide right off. I also need to look again but I don't know if they make the tall/narrow reel with a levelwind.

You are supposed to get better casting distance without a levelwind. But anyone that has used these type reels to cast into the wind knows a levelwind would help out.

So for muskie fishing, I don't know if it matters besides the size of the reel. Maybe someone else has better insight?

The advantages of not having a level wind are

1. When a tuna screams off 200yrds of line the reel doesn't break it off.

2. There's less resistance on the cast and should cast further (in theory).

Neither of these advantages are realized while muskie fishing.

The non-level wind has no real benefit to musky anglers at all. I can pitch my Calcutta TE as far as my Trinidad. It is just the pick up that is beneficial. I think the Trinidads are cool reels, we used to use them a lot offshore and found it interesting when they hit the musky scene. I think they are going to phase out eventually - Especially when Daiwa and others are making High speed reels with level winds. It won't be long before Shimano makes a LW model.

The non-level wind has no real benefit to musky anglers at all. I can pitch my Calcutta TE as far as my Trinidad.

So with the obvious market in musky anglers I would hope Shimano would consider building a musky specific Trinidad - maybe call it "Vermillion?" wink

I know some of you have questions and mean well by asking them over an over on every sight around, but none of this Salty reel junk is hard to do, think about or put into reality.

It simply aint that hard to figure out period.

Go to Thornes, grab one an ask one of the girls to show you how to use it. Go out in lot on fling it around.

Moving rod tip side to side a bit works fine for laying round line on spool.

With any reel [PoorWordUsage] happens so it is operator error most of the time.

Great reels for sure with many uses but it simply aint that big a deal.

Good luna or TE as mentioned works just fine also.....depending how hard you fish an lenght of time you fish big blades or like burnning anything...brings in Salty reels as they can ease the drain on yer upper joints some but if yer out of shape or a jello boy trendy pozer you aint got any hope anyway...no reel will help ya.

smile

Learning how to use the lures one has an when to use them to get most out of them is far more of an edge than just thinking a $350 reel is going to help ya with any of that muskie fish type junk.

Great reels but not end all to be all.

If you must have one, go talk to the girls at thornes as they will show you everything you would want to know from plus side an down side of each reel salty in show case.

That is the only thing to do if your into asking question....go to the sourse, less going out an just buying one an DOING IT!!!!

And if you can't aford it, if you ponder this thought one tiny lil bit......stick to what you have or the wife or boy friend will for sure leave ya when it is found out you purchased a high end reel for weekend warrior muskie fish plunking...for sure.....and quick.

smile

Muskie fish market is not that big to make a reel just for it special I do beleive...but would be cool to see..........name of it should be maybe....HAM...Hard As Metal....like me the one an only Musky T. or maybe AFORDABLE!!!!

smile

Tommy

PS.

I type in humor if you knew me you would understand, being serious online like moderation in real life is a forgien unatainable oject to me.

smile