• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which rifle?

J Boo

J Boo-

Congratulations on the new firestick!

Go with a quality bullet suck as a Nosler Partition, Swift, Barnes X, etc. I am VERY partial to the Barnes myself. I am betting that the 140 grain range will work out well in this gun. There are quality factory ammo availible with these premium bullets.

Make sure you break in the barrel correctly. Do a search and you will find info on how to do this.

The last gun I broke I did the following: I had the barrel and action cryo treated before I even shot it. This relieves the manufacturing and machining stresses. When It came time to shoot, I brought my cleaning kit to the range. After the first shot, I ran a wet bore patch down the barrel, followed by a wet brush, and then a dry patch. I did this after every shot for the first ten shots. Next, I would fire three shots, and then clean again. I did this for about six groups of three. After that, I would go five rounds before cleaning, shooting five groups.

Accuracy was not the greatest, so I started to use different powder and bullets until I found one that worked well. Once I found a load that my gun liked, it now shoots sub MOA groups at 100 yards. (Savage 111 in .338)

All of this info is great, but I have another question to add. In reference to the the 270, 300 and 7MM, all WSM's, which of the three would a person recommend for a little thicker cover? I am interested in any one of the three SM's, I prefer the 270 only because that has been the caliber I've been using for a number of years and it has served well, but, I would like to try something new.

hay barejack i wood go with the300wsm. i was talking to a gun smith and he said that the 270-and the 7wsm bern out the barils kwikiker cuz thers so much powder and it burns too hotang screws up the croves in the barel its just too small of a calber to make a short mag just my 2 cents

------------------
[email protected]

I have a Thompson-Center Encore with a 30-06 barrel. I bought it two years ago for $400. It has to be by far the most accurate gun I have ever used. The only downside is that it is a break-action single shot, so if you use it for hunting, you better make sure you take a good shot. The great thing about them is that you can buy barrels for just about any caliber you can think of for about $200, including muzzleloaders. These make the best muzzleloaders that I've ever used as well. No messing around with percussion caps, just break it open and slap a shotgun primer in there and you're set. I've never had one single misfire. Anybody else use one of these?