• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN Valley Wildlife Refuge

ricqik

Anyone bowhunted these certain units that is open for archery. I am looking into Louisville Swamp Unit as some portions of it is not open to gun. I'm trying to get away from the gun hunters while bowhunting.
Those who've bowhunted there. Is it flat? Is there alot of tree's big enough for a climber? Any fields? I keep hearing of big bucks in the river bottoms, is there some roaming around bown there?
I'm currently hunting Carlo's Avery and Bayport and there is just too many hunters blasting away for no reason but boredom. I don't think there's a squirrel or grouse every 20yds but they seem to think so. In need of a bowhunting only area or sometplace with more responsible hunters around.

You don't have to tell about the big buck roaming around in there or where. We all want that big one for ourselves. Just give your view of the place like hunting pressure, terrain, etc.

I don't mind sharing info to where I've seen some of those big boys. I only hunt public land.

Went to Louisville swamp this past fri and sat. Looks promising. Saw some rubs on 1"-6" tree's. Jumped a couple of deers, 2 really large deer, may be bucks. Scouted around and looks like I'll be bowhunting there this year. Alot of turkeys running around too. Some pretty long walks to good woods. Looks great.

i am not a bow hunter, or much of a deer hunter but i have done quite a bit of hiking in the louisville swamp. a little rock climbing and duck hunting too. there are alot of good sized oaks in there. most of the bow hunters who have run into me were on mountain bikes coming and going to their spots. its a pretty flat area, some hills but nothing to make you winded.
the bowhunters that i talked to were all on the middle road. if you look at a map of the swamp you'll know where im talking about. i don't know how far in they were or if any of the areas i walked around in had any deer sign.
hopes this helps a little.

I do alot off trapping on the refuge and I see alot off nice deer down there. And a lot off bowhunters and I bow hunt myself but never there. Theres also a lot off walkers and joggers. And it is a long walk to goos woods. Most guys ride there mtn. bikesin. good luck.