• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where do I start with my first yard????

Patti

I just bought my first house in November and in between fishing I need to figure out what do with my yard. I've had in-ground flower gardens at apartments...but haven't had grass, trees or bushes to deal with.

Any advice? or resources you can recommend for a beginner?

I can't really afford professionals so I'm on my own. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Patti

Patti find s decent reasonably priced Do it yourself landscaping consultant. They are well worth the price. There are some out there that will show you ways to offset the costs you paid them.

Rain gardens and native plantings are always good. There are grant programs right now from a large number of organizations. Some are matching grants, some are cost sharing and some just straight reimbursement grants.

I'm assuming since you listed you're in Bloomington, that you already have an established yard.

If so, what condition is the yard in?

There's a good chance that some, alot, or all of it still looks dormant. It's close, but not all yards have turned green yet.

As far as bushes and trees, you're getting to the time where you should probably leave most of them alone as far as trimming, that should be done (for the most part) in the dead of winter.

The exception would be if you have any fruit bearing trees, or flowering, as those should be pruned when the flowers drop, if you want flowers and fruit next year.

Follow along the board, you'll receive tips a couple of weeks ahead of time when you should do different fertilizings, tips on when to trim, etc.

If you don't have an already established yard or landscape, take a weekend or two and wander around to different landscape centers. There are many that have a weekend show on the AM side of the radio dial, usually early mornings, or I know of a couple major ones in the Bloomington area.

If they can't help you out, there'll be others that can.

Patti - check out books on landscaping, flowers and gardens from the library and just start making notes of what you like. To save $$ on plants, wait until June when the Linder's garden centers start to close everything out at 50%. They usually have a great selection.

There's a good chance that some, alot, or all of it still looks dormant. It's close, but not all yards have turned green yet.

Speaking of dormant grass...is it necessary to be watering your lawn. I'm seeing every tom, [PoorWordUsage] , and harry watering in my neighborhood like it's July. I'm guessing no.