• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

kennel floor

Dano2

My dogs have a large keenel run, and up closer to my house theres an area were they urinated more and keilled the grass, now its almost all dirt and of course when it rains is abit muddy. I was thinking of bordering the area in and throwing something down to make it look nicer and so it doesn't get muddy. not sure what to put in there though, anyone have any ideas? wood chips, rock, sand etc. etc.? wood chips I'm sure they would eat, and drag all over the place.

A second thought was to build a deck around it, slightly off the ground, and put something up for more shade because alot of the time they will lay next to their house for shade and this area is also abit dirt, .
If I go THIS route, is the green treat lumber bad for dogs to lay on?
thanks

I don't have a real flat yard and the spot where I wanted the kennel had about a foot drop over the 6ft width span. This made Concrete pretty much impossible. I basically ended up building a small deck for the kennel to sit on. I used those new plastic boards they are using for decks now. They can be expensive but I found a cheap version at Menards that is just gray. I really like it. The slats are nice so water runs through the floor and it still looks like new after 2 years.

Are they pretty strong, so the dogs cant chew them up?
How do they get secured? screws?
what did you secure them to, did you make like the frame from wood, then secure the plastic pieces across the same as you would with wood deck?
what sizes are they? 2x4, 2x6 etc?
Do you remember what they are called and price? sounds like a possible plan.
thanks

I did the same, I made a 4'x24' run and used the Royal decking in gray from Menards. Its awesome and easy to clean. I used 4"x4" treated for the supports under the decking.

I've been meaning to take some pictures, if I do I'll get them out.

I'm pretty sure they were 2x6 and I used 12ft lengths. I also used 4x4's underneath to attach them too. They are pretty darn durable. My dog isn't a chewer but if your dog goes after these it will probably be after he's already done chewing through the dog house. I also ran U-bolts down through it to hold the kennel down to it.

I made a platform for my dog kennel out of standard 2 x 6's last fall. So far, it is working great. It is nice and cool for her, and cleans easily with a hose.

I have photos, but am not sure how to post them here.

Here are the pictures of the kennel setup I did.

Its a 4'x24' run, Royal Decking for floor and a Dog Den 2 from K9Kondos.

site1019.jpg

site1020.jpg

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 05-28-2004).]

After reading a few old threads I came across one where a couple of people recomended a all concrete / paver floor for a dog kennel...

Are there any implications with joints / fatigue with a all concrete / paver floor? Or do you leave a small area of dirt for the dog to 'play' in?

Any advice would be appreciated!

marine_man

Concrete doesn't fully cure for 10-12 years, the acids in the concrete can cause damage to your dogs coat and skin.

Urine also soaks up into concrete really easy in the first few years it is curing.

Many people still use concrete or pavers, the problem with pavers is they will eventually move and look like **** .

nice looken pad your pup has there.
my dogs is about the same lenght but but a couple feet wider, I need to figure something out for atleast 1/4 portion of it where the pee most of the time, its a large dead spot that smells pretty raunchy, even after all the rain we had, I need to put SOMEthing in that area for better drainage.